• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Non lethal ammo rubber bullets and bean bags

Be aware that "non-lethal" is a misnomer, the more correct term is "less lethal". The alternative rounds can be lethal or crippling, especially at room sized distances.

The less lethal rounds should not be fired at the head, and are intended to be fired at the waist or below. How much training are you going to give your ladies so that they don't instinctively shoot at someone's face?
Honestly I think it would be funny to pop some POS in the balls with a bean bag... or the gut.

I would speculate that shooting someone with bean bags or rubber bullets would be considered assault. (Thats guessing based upon how litigious we are in society and how we are being stripped of our rights).

I would assume, that rubber buckshot or solid rubber balls fired from a shotgun would still be considered "force which is intended or likely to cause ...great bodily harm."
Because numerous cases hold that causing somebody even a temporary loss of full function of a body part qualifies to upgrade the crime to a more serious level.
The most common example I'm familiar with is aggravated battery versus standard battery.

Since rubber buckshot can put out your eye, knock out a tooth, and cause other serious injury, you'd better have a green light to use deadly force before you start blasting rubber buckshot at high velocity.

But other kinds of less lethal weapons or types of shot shells such as something that blasts of fine chemical irritating mist or powder should not be considered deadly force.
They should be considered a type of regular force (that's not a legal term found in the Georgia code but it's clearly distinguished from deadly force).
If you could grab somebody and forcefully throw them to the ground,
or punch them in the face, then I think you could shoot them with teargas loads.
Or taze them.

Is it legal to pop someone with non lethal ammo in defense of your property from looters in the state of Ga. ?

this is a legit question, not looking for personal opinions.
You can use what force is necessary, and reasonable under the circumstances.

This is a hot topic in Athens right now.

A week ago Sunday, there was a protest in Athens, started at about 5 p.m. At midnight there were about 100-125 people still "protesting" in the middle of town.

Speaking of drones, the police used a drone with a loudspeaker to tell the crowd to disperse.

Anyway, the cops threw about a half dozen low grade tear gas canisters. When the protesters went to pick up the canisters to throw them back, the police popped them with the bean bags, which are filled with lead shot not beans, and based on the pictures leave a pretty mean bruise.

Oh my God, social media and the press has been filled with the local loonies making it sound like the police had lined the protesters up and machined gunned them down. No one was hurt beyond some major "oowies". no injuries, no one got their head cracked.

Of course everyone who can find a reporter is telling how they barely survived the "unprovoked tear gas attack".

Is it legal to pop someone with non lethal ammo in defense of your property from looters in the state of Ga. ?

this is a legit question, not looking for personal opinions.

Yes, you can. But please understand the points of impact with less lethal (not non lethal). You have to aim for soft tissue, such as the stomach or thighs. You can't aim for the head because it can still be lethal in those areas. Cops have been shooting people in the head causing brain damage, blindness, or death. Guarantee the first 2 are going to have severe lawsuits. So don't put yourself in a position to be liable.

At the end of the day, yes the looting is wrong, but are materialistic things worth a life? Rubber bullets or bean bags are a great alternative to live ammo and it actually gives you a better case should it not deter them and you have to use live ammo.

I'm not an attorney so take this with a grain of salt. You either are or are not authorized for use of deadly force. I would offer the conjecture that if you chose to used less than lethal you would still need to be in a situation which authorized deadly force because shooting, or shooting at, someone with a firearm, no matter the ammo, is assault with a deadly weapon. I would consult with your lawyer so he can spell out the situations in which deadly force is authorized because, as I understand it, to use one the other it required.

That's incorrect. Escalation of Force is always in play. You can only use the amount of force necessary to stop the threat. Sometimes that may be a simple as yelling at them, sometimes it may be showing you have a firearm. you can't just jump to lethal force unless you can articulate why it was necessary. Some idiot stealing a TV isn't exactly a threat to your life and it can be replaced, but using less lethal force is very well justified. But if someone breaks in to steal a TV and you see a gun in their waist, that's justifiable for live ammo.

If theyre just a bunch of skinny liberal millennials, why is everyone so afraid?

What ever happened to throwin hands... thats how we handle unarmed conflict back WHERE IM FROM.....

If they got a weapon, you use live ammo. If they aren't armed, don't be a ***** and fight like a real man.

Back
Top Bottom