• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
No stupid questions and most of us makers will always try to help when we can. There really are no secrets in knifemaking. The only real "new" development that hasn't been done over and over the length of man's history would be the electric knife.

You're going to find the drill press a huge improvement on getting pins aligned and set. Invest in a good press vise as well. Hand holding a piece as you drill will eventually end with pain and possibly blood. Always securely clamp your project.
Measure twice (or more), mark tight, hit the mark.
Only use sharp drill bits and learn to sharpen the dull ones.

Epoxy choice is important. Stay away from the 5 minute - FIF is basically showing folks how to race to failure not how to reach top performance. Keep that in mind when you watch. Using high quality long cure epoxy is always better, plus it gives you the time to make those last minute adjustments that seem to crop up from time to time. Check with Pop's Knife Supplies and get their long cure two part. Always do a trial dry fit first before mixing up your glue. Lot more "other" tricks of the trade that make things easier.

If you can find time go visit Pop's they are located over in Braselton. Matter of fact our next GA Guild meeting will be there in a few weeks. We are a teaching/sharing guild. Be a great time to meet makers from all over the SE, both pros and beginners. If you like knives from any "direction" this is the quarterly event to attend. No fee to attend, good lunch, two or three demos, and answers to all your questions. The connections and friends you make will be tremendously helpful as you progress.

I hope to be there - lot of stuff going on - and would be glad to meet you and introduce you around a little (if I don't get sucked into one of the demos).
I'll also have a booth at the ODT Event next weekend if you are planning to attend, so stop by.
Thanks Carl. I did talk with AS and got an invite for the May event and am going to be there. TED Knives helps me a good bit and have known him years. Going by Olde Towne today. Yes sir I will be at the odt event T36. G10 next on the list, Maybe next week. question...... if I use 1/8 rod do I drill 5/32 or 3/16 hole?

My friend Travis is good people. Guess Allen is too ..... just kidding (known him since he first started making knives with Andy at Fiddleback). Lot of really good people in the knifemaking world, especially here in GA. One reason why our Guild is so popular. When we chartered there were only 14 of us venturous souls, but it took and gets bigger every year.

Holes might be a bit "sloppy" with the larger bits. I took a section of 1/8" drill bit shaft, annealed it and chiseled some micro groves down the sides leaving the raised parts intact. Then rehardened the bit. It reems out the 1/8" hole just a little bit more for a tighter fit. But that's just me. Sure wouldn't go bigger than the 5/32. A #30 is a hair bigger than 1/8th as well, if you can find one.

IMG_1141.jpg got some to work on next week.G10 is a mess.

Thanks Carl. I did talk with AS and got an invite for the May event and am going to be there. TED Knives helps me a good bit and have known him years. Going by Olde Towne today. Yes sir I will be at the odt event T36. G10 next on the list, Maybe next week. question...... if I use 1/8 rod do I drill 5/32 or 3/16 hole?
I had talked with Travis he makes one mean Meat Cleaver..Track Rock is a great meet up..All showing their craft! Carl is skills are also great..

IMG_1146.jpgsome walnut handles on a patch knife blank I got at the show. Gonna be a gift for a member. My first using brass rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom