• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

North Carolina Gun Laws?

Open carry is legal in North Carolina without a permit. Counties may regulate the display of firearms on public roads, sidewalks, alleys or other public property. The minimum age is 18 years old. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and the State Capitol grounds.

Concealed carry is legal for residents with a North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) and for non-residents with any valid license/permit. North Carolina CHP’s are issued to residents and members of the military permanently posted in North Carolina and require a firearms training course that has been approved by the state. The minimum age is 21 years old. In terms of reciprocity, North Carolina recognizes permits from all states, regardless of the age of the permit holder.

I don't know a thing about North Carolina gun laws, but I might have to research it because a good friend of mine just got back from a backpacking and camping trip in the great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina, and he wants to know about the legality of carrying a gun on the trail next time.

didn’t Rabbit2047 Rabbit2047 live there for a bit? He may have some real world advice.

The biggest difference I recall seeing before we traveled there last year is that if approached by an officer whilst carrying you must inform them you are carrying.

Back
Top Bottom