• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Northern Zone baiting is on the table in both houses for The Northern Zone

DinkyDau

Coast Guard Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
Your only as good as your word!
170   0
Reaction score
Legislation that would open up archery deer hunting statewide until Jan. 31 is still in play at the Georgia capitol, although there doesn’t seem to be widespread support for the measure as of yet. The legislation is an amended version of Senate Bill 122, which was introduced last legislative session.

Allowing either-sex archery deer hunting with bows and crossbows statewide until Jan. 31 would mirror what the state currently allows for counties in the metro Atlanta area, where growing deer populations pose problems and hunting options are limited.

The firearms deer season was just changed by the legislature two years ago so that it ends statewide on the second Sunday of January. That legislation did away with split seasons where the Northern Zone closed on Jan. 1.

SB 122 would have to be passed by both the state Senate and House of Representatives, and then be signed by the Governor before it would be law.

In addition to creating archery-only deer hunting through Jan. 31, SB 122 would also extend small-game seasons through the first week of March.

Last year when this topic was discussed, the Wildlife Resources Division said extending small-game seasons could negatively impact the populations of three game animals in particular—fox squirrels, rabbits and quail. Small-game hunting currently ends Feb. 28, a week sooner than the proposal in SB 122.

A similar House version of the legislation, HB 186, was introduced last year but didn’t progress. HB 186 would extend firearms deer hunting until the third Monday of January (MLK Day) and provide for archery deer hunting statewide through Jan. 31. HB 186 does not currently include the measure to extend small-game seasons through first weekend of March.

Baiting is highly overrated. I believe the rules should be the same statewide, but the vast majority of times baiting only helps late in the season. Even then it isn't nearly as productive as some believe.
Do to this old mans health issues, for me it would be a great thing. I could just have the food plots mowed and put out feeders..

Do to this old mans heath issues, for me it would be a great thing. I could just have the food plots mowed and put out feeders..
Once it is legal everyone is doing it, so there are corn piles in abundance, and it doesn't make much difference. Deer will always prefer acorns over every other food source, anyway. I've seen deer walk right past a corn feeder and straight for the acorns, many times...Don't get me wrong, feeders can bring in deer, but IMO they work best in late season when acorns and forage are scarce.

Just some things I've noticed hunting south Ga for a lot of years.

I agree that the laws should be the same state wide, and I hope it passes.

After seeing how my buddy's club in chattahoochee county works I am for baiting. Used not to agree with it but Texas seems to do well with it. I noticed that I could watch the animals and be selective, good for hog control and helps keep them on your lease. Just seems to work in the southern zone.

With baiting, trail cams, GPS, sniper scopes, etc, hunting will soon be a lost art. Too many modern-day "hunters" are lazy and want everything to be easy. By the time millennials are my age they won`t know a scrape from a rub.
they wont be hunting at all they are dumbasses

With baiting, trail cams, GPS, sniper scopes, etc, hunting will soon be a lost art. Too many modern-day "hunters" are lazy and want everything to be easy. By the time millennials are my age they won`t know a scrape from a rub.
I remember having a rubber pair of boots from Kmart, a single shot shotgun, a flannel shirt with a carhart coat, white insulated long underwear under my levis sitting on a 2x6 in the fork of a tree, no atv, still sweaty from hiking about a mile in, sitting in pouring rain. No cell phone, pager...etc. All because I found a big shed back there the year before and a fresh rub and some droppings. Killed my first buck that day. 1984. 1 Doe and 1 buck tag if I remember correctly. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom