• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Northern Zone baiting is on the table in both houses for The Northern Zone

I know now that you where at te Newnan M&G...im sorry I didn't get to meet ya...i always miss people....hopefully next time we can speak...i missed DD at the Woodstock M&G ...hopefully I can meet him one day also
Yes sir

Once it's in a population. The population of deer in Mississippi is not the same as it is in Georgia and members of each never meet each other. That cannot be said of any human population.

On a side note - deer from Mississippi were one of the several states used to re-populate the GA herd. We have an interesting herd here.

Once it's in a population. The population of deer in Mississippi is not the same as it is in Georgia and members of each never meet each other. That cannot be said of any human population.
CWD and AIDS are communicable diseases. Concentrated/artificial feeding and unprotected sex increase the risk of SPREADING each respectively. You don't engage in risky behavior, when you KNOW it's risky behavior and then stop AFTER you've contracted the disease. It's too late. Deer don't obey state lines. The fact they are a few hundred miles from our border simply highlights why we should be doing everything possible to LIMIT THE RISK NOW, not later. Truth is there probably already are deer here that have it, unfortunately and we are going to mash the accelerator. It'll be interested if Georgia resorts to the 'extermination' attempts. Ironic after we had to re-establish the herd not so long ago.
None of this of course address the sociological issues of baiting. Georgia's Constitutional "right to hunt and fish" has muted that issue I suppose. But unfortunately, it could go away as quickly as it was codified. Baiting surely won't increase the perception of hunting in the eyes of the VAST majority of Georgia's voting public.... who happen to be NON hunters. When that was passed (and shooting deer over a pile of corn was illegal) most had a neutral or favorable view of hunting.

On a side note - deer from Mississippi were one of the several states used to re-populate the GA herd. We have an interesting herd here.
Where did you hear that?

forum_gon_com_attachment_php_cde69a4e654f3bc684e54230f2ac4be9._.jpg

Where did you hear that?

forum_gon_com_attachment_php_cde69a4e654f3bc684e54230f2ac4be9._.jpg

That's the one that only goes up to 1974. The re-population went up to the early 90s I believe. I'll have to dig around, but I remember Mississippi and I think Montana also. There's also speculation that they brought some deer over from some places in Europe, but I've never seen anything definitive.

That's the one that only goes up to 1974. The re-population went up to the early 90s I believe. I'll have to dig around, but I remember Mississippi and I think Montana also. There's also speculation that they brought some deer over from some places in Europe, but I've never seen anything definitive.
Mississippi was getting it's OWN restocking down around that time so I find it hard to believe they were supplying any to anywhere else, and I don't believe Georgia's restocking went beyond '74.
You could be right. I wasn't around then. :) Hope you find it.

Mississippi was getting it's OWN restocking down around that time so I find it hard to believe they were supplying any to anywhere else, and I don't believe Georgia's restocking went beyond '74.
You could be right. I wasn't around then. :) Hope you find it.

I found this link http://benttreevoice.com/?p=5191, but it's not the one I remember. I think it was a pdf so I'll have to see if I saved it somewhere.

Anyway that link mentions the above states I listed along with Michigan. Mississippi was restocked also with deer coming from Wisconsin and a few others. The bulk of the restocking in GA stopped in the 60s, but they kept going into the 90s from what I remember. Although much of that was probably intrastate.

Back
Top Bottom