• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Northern Zone baiting is on the table in both houses for The Northern Zone

He has a point, guys. Even the Ga. DNR says that one of the best ways to prevent the spread of CWD in Georgia is to not bait or do any supplemental feeding. I just don't think it's necessary yet. I will commit to this. The moment that CWD is reported in a neighboring state I will stop all supplemental feeding.

He has a point, guys. Even the Ga. DNR says that one of the best ways to prevent the spread of CWD in Georgia is to not bait or do any supplemental feeding. I just don't think it's necessary yet. I will commit to this. The moment that CWD is reported in a neighboring state I will stop all supplemental feeding.
By the time it's diagnosed here, "preventative measures" are too late. It will slow the spread a little, but the damage is done. Perhaps we'll get like some areas where it began and have entire areas where no hunting is allowed. That'll be fun.
Like I said the attitude in this thread is why I should have just stayed out of it. Reread the posts and the snide dismissiveness. If you care about the resource, it's depressing as hell. There is nothing you can show or say to a person, especially an adult, who wants to shoot deer over corn that will convince them not to. They simply don't care. It's about shooting something, or "getting theirs" period. I really wish those folks would find a new 'hobby'.
I really enjoy hunting. Most all types. Hunters... not so much anymore. There was a certain nobility in non sustenance hunting and of course it has proven to be THE single greatest force for conversation in the country. Unfortunately, like most things in society, the trend isn't promising.
The last career position I had was for a non-profit that protects lands around country, much for hunting (only reason I took the job). I left another job, that paid more money, to take that job and have a horrible commute because, yeah, it's something I'm passionate about. Friends thought I was crazy. Perhaps. I don't expect everyone to be so concerned but it is depressing to see purposeful disregard and willful ignorance. I was on one of the subcommittees that formulated the 10 year management plan for Georgia that we are operating under currently. My group had the preeminent deer biologist in the state, as well as the chief of game management (also accomplished deer biologist) for WRD as well as a few lesser known. The group also included a mix of interested parties with varying backgrounds but all very close to varying aspects of wildlife management. I was one of the few (if not the only) 'laymen'. When the subject came up, the recommendations were overwhelmingly against baiting. I realized even then (it had just been legalized in the southern zone) it wasn't going to matter.
For anyone reading this, there is MORE than enough research and professional writings on the subject for you to formulate an informed position. If you just want to do it because you can't, the facts are also easy to ignore.

I found this link http://benttreevoice.com/?p=5191, but it's not the one I remember. I think it was a pdf so I'll have to see if I saved it somewhere.

Anyway that link mentions the above states I listed along with Michigan. Mississippi was restocked also with deer coming from Wisconsin and a few others. The bulk of the restocking in GA stopped in the 60s, but they kept going into the 90s from what I remember. Although much of that was probably intrastate.
Hopefully you'll find the reference you're thinking about. We had a deer limit of 5 if I'm remembering correctly in the early 90s (2 bucks and 3 does)? Seems illogical they would have still been stocking AND allowing a 5 deer limit. Anything is possible. Send it to me if you find what you're thinking about. I'll try and find out for sure from the source next week.

John Bowers detailed the GA CWD response to the legislative committee. As far as I can tell no one but me was listening, because it's scary as all get out. According to John, it's not "if" but "when".

He is the top game management guy in the state, so if you know something different,let us know.

Back
Top Bottom