Nosler Ballistic Tip Expansion Issue

What's the problem?

• Total voters

ahocutt1

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
12   1
Reaction score
Howdy, has anyone had issues with their nosler ballistic tip bullets? I hand loaded some for hunting season, charge was on the light side. I shot 1 doe at 90 yards, performed perfectly, lots of blood. I shot a larger doe and 140 yards with no blood. Luckily she only ran about 100 yards, I found her and didn't think anything of it. I shot a buck at 150 yards. Again, absolutely no blood and again, lucky he too only ran about 100 yards. Now I'm concerned. Exit wound was about the same as the entrance on both. The only thing I can think of is that being on the light side, only about 2350 fps, it didn't have the impact to expand... Is that an accurate assessment? Any other insight or advise? I'll get more info on the load and post it shortly.

Edit / Update: 7x57 (7mm mauser) with a 18.5" barrel. I'm using nosler 150 gr ballistic tip bullets, 42 gr of IMR 4350. I use typically use Hornady and Lyman reloading books but should have gone to nosler's website as well.

i1.wp.com_load_data.nosler.com_nosler_load_data_image_7mm_7x57102227948fbba3c126ab01f6c7dea164.jpg

Sounds like too low impact velocity. They’re probably down to around 2100fps at 150yards. Not sure what their velocity window is but I’m sure Nosler has it listed somewhere.

Looking t Nossler's load data, I am guessing you are under 2200 at the muzzle. See if you can crono your loads, and adjust for expansion speed on that bullet.

Back
Top Bottom