• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nostalgia time here (80's BMX)

We had a bike shop that sold all the good parts for these bikes back in the 80’s but all us kids could afford were stickers and pads mostly.
We would do odd jobs and grass cutting jobs , paper routes or whatever it took to obtain the better parts but mostly our bikes were pieces together from “junk” bikes we obtained from yard sales, flea markets, roadside trash day pickup, etc.

The biggest upgrade every bike got was a set of longer cranks and that’s pretty much all we needed to get by on the trails.

We also had some awesome trails near our house and they dubbed as dirt bike tracks as well.

I love helping my grandkids upgrade their bikes but their parents spoil the crap out of them and these kids don’t want for anything these days.
Different times back then

In the 80’s most of our parents were divorced , low income and we were free range kids but we policed ourselves and learned life lessons the hard way.
Some of us us had a healthy predisposition for self preservation, others didn’t but we pushed the limits sometimes and Murphys law toyed with Darwin on occasion but some of us made it to adulthood.

Had one just like this, fondest memories of strapping a life jacket to the handlebars and lake jumping… good times!
621DF242-DD04-4BD9-AA9C-B67F478DFC14.jpeg

When I was 8 I remember getting a Huffy Thunder Road for Christmas it had a black frame, with a MX style seat and yellow fenders also a really cool fake plastic "gas tank" later I raced a DG around 1979/80 in central Florida but never advanced past novice level still I had fun.

I remember deflating our bike tires, putting custom length chains around the middle of the tire tread , inflating to keep the chain taunt then riding them on a frozen lake.
Good times.

Back
Top Bottom