• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NOT so accurate sniper rifles...........

Lol. Seriously, there are several good points made here that i havent thought about before. i shoot my weapons for pleasure, so it doesn't matter to me what someone calls them, but I've still learned some things from reading through this thread.
Yeah, labels on most firearms should be vague at most. Most people that see the bolt action I posted a pic of earlier think "Sniper Rifle", but snipers are people that kill other people with precision rifle fire. I hunt deer at long range and target shoot with mine, so should it be called a sniper rifle at all?

Typically what a title for a weapon does more than anything else is indicate it's capability and not it's use.

I've had this discussion with folks before, with no clear answer: What makes someone a "Sniper"?

Is it the training they have received, if any?

Is it how they are employed?

Is it the weapon they are using?

I can get sensitive about it at times, mainly when the news is involved. Were the "DC Snipers" actually "Snipers", or just psychopaths with rifles? Different websites or dictionary sources will have different definitions.

I've had this discussion with folks before, with no clear answer: What makes someone a "Sniper"?

I can get sensitive about it at times, mainly when the news is involved. Were the "DC Snipers" actually "Snipers", or just psychopaths with rifles? Different websites or dictionary sources will have different definitions.
Well, I have been described as a Psychopath with a rifle, but that was just by Friends & Relatives :becky:

And that's all what I was trying to say. Sniper or sniper rifle mean different things to different people. Sometime one word describes more than one thing. In English we say "snowstorm", in Russian they say "purga", metel' ", "buran", all describing snowstorm, but different types.
I do not have your level of training and experience, and I do not pretend that I do. I know what I grew up with (blessing of an Army brat), and that there was more than type of "sniper" rifle in service with Soviet army. And PSL and SVD have completely different operating systems. That's all.

And that's all what I was trying to say. Sniper or sniper rifle mean different things to different people. Sometime one word describes more than one thing. In English we say "snowstorm", in Russian they say "purga", metel' ", "buran", all describing snowstorm, but different types.
I do not have your level of training and experience, and I do not pretend that I do. I know what I grew up with (blessing of an Army brat), and that there was more than type of "sniper" rifle in service with Soviet army. And PSL and SVD have completely different operating systems. That's all.

I agree.

The SV-98 wasn't adopted until 4 or more years after I got out. The Mosin/ 1891/30 PU Sniper wasn't a "front line" rifle for the Soviets/Russians while I was in. It was certainly still in the armory, and in the hands of a wide array of other countries.

Back
Top Bottom