• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not sure how to start reloading.

Thanks for all the info guys, it's all new to me. I assumed a reloading book was just for specs, didn't think to look for a how to book. I am only interested in small batches. Basically if I go to the range and shoot 50 to 75 rounds, just looking to replace those.

Basically if I go to the range and shoot 50 to 75 rounds, just looking to replace those.

Thats how it starts. Then its couple hundred and before you know it there is a thousand rounds sittin in an ammo can with more to come. All the while lookin for deals on primers and powders and such. Its our version of crack addiction.

There must be stickies galore about this on just about every gun forum.
+1000 times: buy a couple of reloading manuals and read them. NO one has your needs and wants, so other's opinions are not even worth what you paid for them—mine, his, hers, or anyone's (including the magazine guru author).
Walk before you run. Do not start by trying to do all the benchrest/long range precision rifle competition tricks. Start SIMPLE and learn what actually has any effect.
You'll learn, most likely, that most "tricks" mean nothing unless you have a $1000+ custom rifle with custom chamber that can shoot factory ammo at 0.5MOA or less to start with.
Bottleneck reloading is very simple, with the only complication being that cases will get longer with repeated shooting, so you have to check length after sizing (or spend LOTS of money for a trimmer mounted on the press). Beyond that, it is really simple unless you want to play all the case prep tricks. You can full-length size the case (which will expand the case ID to the proper diameter when the case leaves the die), prime, charge with powder, and seat bullet. In most cases, there is no need to flare the case's mouth or to roll crimp the bullet.

I recently started the similar pursuit. I also recommend The Lee manual as your first book...most comprehensive IMO. I ultimately decided on a single stage press since I'm not initially reloading for bulk ammunition but rather quality with the intention of creating accurate precision munitions. YouTube is also an excellent resource...initially just search for your decided caliber and you will find a wealth of info.

If either of you are interested in a rcbs single stage press and a Lyman turret press, several different sets of dies, scale and other assorted reloading items let me know. I just bought a Dillon and about to buy a Forrester Co-axle. I assure you it will be very reasonably priced.

Oh I also have extra manuals and other components

Check out a book called The ABC's of reloading. I think it does a better job of explaining the Why questions rather than the Hows. Reloading manuals do a great job of do it this way but don't tell you why you do it this way. ABC also breaks down the different shooting styles and why you might need to change something in your loading practice.

On the topic of loading manuals, it's not a bad idea to buy several. The idea being you can reference load data from multiple sources. I have the 8th edition Hornady, berger, Lyman and Sierra and use the powder distributors websites.

Check out a book called The ABC's of reloading. I think it does a better job of explaining the Why questions rather than the Hows. Reloading manuals do a great job of do it this way but don't tell you why you do it this way. ABC also breaks down the different shooting styles and why you might need to change something in your loading practice.

On the topic of loading manuals, it's not a bad idea to buy several. The idea being you can reference load data from multiple sources. I have the 8th edition Hornady, berger, Lyman and Sierra and use the powder distributors websites.
I have that book ABCs if you need it

Back
Top Bottom