• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not sure how to start reloading.

I'm just getting started myself and love it, I picked up a Lee turret press. I am about to go out and shoot some reloads again today in 9mm. The up front cost sucks but in the end I have a feeling it will provide me with cheaper ammo and hours of entertainment. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

Get the Lyman data book and read it. I do not recommend "The ABCs of Reloading"; it's 30 years out of date. Lots of suggestions about putting fifty cents in an envelope and writing off for catalogs for companies that folded in the 80s... It would not have helped me start, but the Lyman book did. I think they're on the 49th edition now.

I'm just getting started myself and love it, I picked up a Lee turret press. I am about to go out and shoot some reloads again today in 9mm. The up front cost sucks but in the end I have a feeling it will provide me with cheaper ammo and hours of entertainment. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

hikingthehills hikingthehills

Good for you! That's absolutely my #1 recommendation for a first press. You'll be hard pressed to find a reason why you need another. It does both pistol and rifle calibers very well. It's slow enough to learn on without much aggravation and fast enough to put out 150 rounds an hour. Soon it will become therapy. There's still money to be saved in reloading.

You made such a good purchase! I could sell these things, lol, you won't be disappointed. I've owned the 4 turret for many years and if you have any specific question about that press, please ask, I'd be glad to help.

It's a good piece of machinery! (There's some very cheap spare parts you should have on hand ....)
Order yourself a half dozen on these for fiddy cents apiece. This is the only part I've ever worn out.

http://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html

hikingthehills hikingthehills

Good for you! That's absolutely my #1 recommendation for a first press. You'll be hard pressed to find a reason why you need another. It does both pistol and rifle calibers very well. It's slow enough to learn on without much aggravation and fast enough to put out 150 rounds an hour. Soon it will become therapy. There's still money to be saved in reloading.

You made such a good purchase! I could sell these things, lol, you won't be disappointed. I've owned the 4 turret for many years and if you have any specific question about that press, please ask, I'd be glad to help.

It's a good piece of machinery! (There's some very cheap spare parts you should have on hand ....)
Order yourself a half dozen on these for fiddy cents apiece. This is the only part I've ever worn out.

http://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html
Thank you sir, I feel good about the lee so far. Also thanks for the heads up on spare parts I'll get some of those ordered this week. Back from shooting and my 9mm ran like a charm, about to load up some more!

Make sure you really want to do this, be passionate about it, willing to spend time to do it right the first time. Never work on reloading, when tired or attention distracted.

Make sure if you have kids, they are asleep, Make sure you spend time with the wife, no one likes being ignored.

Find a place to designate as your reloading area.

Equipment, you will find a wide array equipment to use buy, or acquire.

That being said, we suggest ROCK CHUCKER SUPREME KIT, has a very beefy press frame, or if you go progressive, (which we do not suggest when freshly starting out. The Big Blue, "DILLON PRECISION EQUIPMENT", expensive yes but buy it once and then you are done.

Good luck read all of the suggestions, research, research, research, then remember "SHORT CUTS IN END UP IN SHORT PAY OR
ACCIDENTS.

Also never smoke, drink, or work on any reloading when tired or sleepy.

L@@KS like the rest is up to you. Good luck in your new found passion....

Thanks for all the info guys, it's all new to me. I assumed a reloading book was just for specs, didn't think to look for a how to book. I am only interested in small batches. Basically if I go to the range and shoot 50 to 75 rounds, just looking to replace those.

You sir are in good company here.

50-75 rounds of factory .308 and or 10mm (Pffffffffffffffffttttt) equate into a lot more shooting when you're on a tight budget and able to roll your own. Most 10mm is neutered down to .40 S&W due to weak wristed FBI pansies. By God load that stuff up to intended 10mm velocities and enjoy it like a man.

.308 bullets are costly so shop around. The bi-metallic soft steel copper coated bullets are cheaper and not a bad choice for a reloader but will shorten the life of a barrel a tick, enough to give care about, mostly no.

Expect to shoot more, expect to shoot better ammo and expect to become more proficient at putting lead on targets at various distances. No better training than lead down range and on target!

Get the Lyman data book and read it. I do not recommend "The ABCs of Reloading"; it's 30 years out of date. Lots of suggestions about putting fifty cents in an envelope and writing off for catalogs for companies that folded in the 80s... It would not have helped me start, but the Lyman book did. I think they're on the 49th edition now.
What edition of ABC's you have? Edition 8 covered a lot of relevant stuff and it has since been revised to edition 9.

Back
Top Bottom