• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not sure what to make of Joe Biden's new rule on " ghost guns "

To my knowledge the answer is no. Any firearm built after GCA 1968 is required to have a serial number before it can be legally transferred. I am sure one of the resident "lawyers" we be along to tell me where I am wrong though.
Private sales of "ghost guns" would still be permitted. There are tens of thousand of older guns without serial numbers that can be legally sold in private sales or to or by an FFL.

This whole things ignores the basic problem. The "80%" rule addresses the practical reality that somewhere between a billet of aluminum or steel and a completed gun, the part becomes identifiable as a "gun". BATF decided that was at 80%. There is no magic in "80" The next step, which has already been done, is the sale of a 10, 20, 30, 40, 50% completed billet of metal, and a code to download a CNC program for a computerized milling machine.

It's totally illegal to make meth, and we all see how well that is working.

IMO this whole campaign just magnifies a minor problem, and brings it to the attention of thousands of very intelligent, creative people.

Just like the blow up over bump stocks. The upshot is hundreds of videos showing workarounds to bump stocks.

P.S. I went to school in PA in an area heavily populated in old retired railroad men who started out in the age of steam. They had a local club of people (old men) who could build an entire steam engine from "parts". When you look at some of their creations, you really come to appreciate how little limits there are on human creativity.

Back
Top Bottom