• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA 2017 in the books - your impressions?

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
I will comment on a couple cool guns I was impressed with. The new Beretta APX and the Walther Creed. Both feel exceptional and have excellent placement of features. They are lightweight and both have excellent triggers! I am thinking about one of the two in the near future.

Honorable mentions. In the budget line the Century Arms PW87 lever action shotgun in 12 gauge, the Henry .410 lever action, and the Savage 42, under/over combo in .22lr/.410, and .22wmr/.410...I hope Savage offers this over/under in .22/20 gauge in the future.

In the not so budget line the HK SP5...Awesome!

There were plenty of others that had my undivided attention, along with all the cool accessories and other nick nacks, but these particular guns have stayed with me, in my thoughts, afterwards.

Which guns or accessories held your undivided attention?

The show overall was well done. I thought the Nashville show had more of a party feel to it but that is not a negative, just an observation (I hope Nashville hosts again asap). I spent time comparing the new M&P vs the SIG 320 vs the HK VP9sk and P30sk. I pretty much decided that I want one of each but reality is I'll have to settle on one (maybe 2!) I think it's going to be the VP9SK with the P320 carry coming a close second. HK and AO had coupons to go shoot the HK for free at AO so I'll do that before I make a final decision.

Reactions: MRH
The Nighthawk Agency 1911 made me want to throw caution to the wind and try to get one. Just a cool project. That and the Nighthawk double stack they're working on. In the more near future I'll be buying a Browning Cynergy composite and a Remington 700 Magpul. Both guns that I was interested in before but nobody local had them in stock. Overall it was a great show. I'll be making the trip next year to Dallas for it.

i was surprised by Hornady. I love Hornady products until this weekend. The people there were quite snobs. I'm going to rethink this, but I do really love their stuff. I've been a proponent of Hornady for some time. I thought RCBS did a very good job with their outfit. The people there were meh...but definitely nicer than Hornady. Dillon was down to earth. Easy to talk to. Shocked to see Redding. One tiny booth but the people at Redding were the most down to earth and easy to talk to.

I learned alot about reloading dies. There is no sense getting any other dies than Redding. Personally, I have mostly Hornady/RCBS dies. I have one Redding die. After this weekend...I see myself moving towards everything Redding.

Grafs & Sons...great people. Tiny booth like Redding.

Baretta Apx was epic. Best trigger outright now for a handgun

I was super impressed with the APX as well, and give the edge to it over the Creed. Nothing wrong with either, but the APX has stayed with me more than any other gun I saw all weekend. Nothing fancy, but pretty much everything about it was just right. That was my impression, anyway.

The show overall was well done. I thought the Nashville show had more of a party feel to it but that is not a negative, just an observation (I hope Nashville hosts again asap). I spent time comparing the new M&P vs the SIG 320 vs the HK VP9sk and P30sk. I pretty much decided that I want one of each but reality is I'll have to settle on one (maybe 2!) I think it's going to be the VP9SK with the P320 carry coming a close second. HK and AO had coupons to go shoot the HK for free at AO so I'll do that before I make a final decision.

I looked at a lot of HK's as well and they really had their stuff together at this show.

I was surprised at how well the show turned out. I love Nashville, so I can't compare the towns, but this year's show was a bit better, IMO.

Baretta Apx was epic. Best trigger outright now for a handgun

Just goes to show how much opinions are worth. My take is the exact opposite. I couldn't stand the APX trigger.
I'd rank it at the bottom of all the new striker fired guns released this year. That's just my opinion though.

That's why there are a multitude to choose from. There is no such thing as "the perfect gun".

Back
Top Bottom