• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA 2017 in the books - your impressions?

I had a blast! Went with my son and met some great folks and some of the pros. Got some swag, spent some money, looked at all the good stuff, new and old.

The only thing I didn't like was the gold and silver area. That's was a little overbearing in my opinion.

I forgot to mention how impressed I was with the Canik line of handguns. I'd heard of them, but never handled one. Granted, they are not the most refined, high end firearm you'd ever laid eyes on, but for the money, they seemed pretty darn legit. They've got some sweet triggers in them, that's for sure.

...and, uh...the scenery at the show wasn't half bed, either.

:eek2:

My first overall impression is that somebody did one heck of a job putting that whole show together. Too many different things need to come together for me to count. Saw a lot of people I know. Even one couple from Colorado that I haven't seen in a few years. As far as the merchandise, I was REALLY impressed with this one guy that was modifying those Moisin rifles. He handed me one and asked me to try the trigger. WOW!!! Food vendors were really expensive but no more that the ones at the gun show in Tulsa. I just have to say "Great Job NRA". Thanks.

I thought the show was very well managed, and thought out.
spent 7 hours of actual walking/looking time and was worn out.
I imagine I saw about 75% of the booths.
MY most memorable event was the Papa Johns pizza stand where my neighbor wanted to eat had Pepperoni or cheese personal pizzas(the 4-5 inchers) for only 9 bucks each, accompanied with cokes (plastic bottle) fro 4 dollars.
when we got to the front of the line finally they had only Cheese pizza and only Diet Coke or Sprite!
last time I over paid that much for food or drink I got a nice young lady dancing on the table in front of me, no waitress ever came out to do that at the NRA show, whats with that?
Nice going there papa!
now for the show.
the Beretta APX wasn't anything to me personally, actually I was a bit disappointed in the weapon.
Taurus had the Spectrum there in its 28 different colors, but the gun has the same looooong trigger pull, same looooong trigger reset and actually no real sights at all, it was nicely streamlined and no hard edges and the balance was good for me, so much for that hype.
Sig had a nice display but I have seen/handled most that they had.
EAA (Tanfoglio) had a great display and included many of the upper tier weapons and that surprised a lot of people that tried them, not a well known weapon and under rated by most.
CZ had everything they make pretty much, the P-10 is great. they had the CZ -Custom guys there and some of the models, of course they are great weapons.
also a nice display of their Safari grade (chambered) rifles that I had not seen (375 H & H, 458 Win, etc.)
I guess 75% of the stuff was either AR/AK. assault scattergun related, way to many of those after a while they all became a blur, you can only paint a AR in so many different colors until they still look the same..
man its going to be interesting how many of these small shops are going to go belly up now that the AR market has gotten soft.
Lots of stuff to look at, a lot was just different colors , different grips on the same older stuff to me.
Colt booth was to me like a step back in time, where was the new stuff???
most had pretty good displays and it was well worth going to me and my neighbor.

There was a company called Triggetech out of Canada that had some really nice AR15 triggers. They have their Frictionless Release Technology that utilizes a free floating roller. Great guys too. https://triggertech.com/

Trigger Tech makes an awesome trigger, I started using them instead of Timney in all the Custom builds I am doing. I have an AR trigger in stock if you want to try one.

It was encouraging to see so many women, kids and minorities in attendance. The "mainstream press" tries to paint gun enthusiast as a bunch of bitter white rednecks. I saw a cross section of many different folks there, which is super and bodes well for our 2nd Amendment rights.

I know what you mean. Saw a lot of kids, women, and minorities at the Convention on Friday. Seemed pretty mainstream and family-friendly.

Read an article in the AJC this morning, bemoaning the fact that African-Americans and women are mostly excluded from the NRA (stating that it's an old white man's club). I had to read that twice, then pulled up some pics from my phone. Ironically, one pic in particular made the whole gist of the article ridiculous.

Very fake news...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom