• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA Carry Guard and other insurance

gabrewer55

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
I've been doing some research on the various options/companies that sell insurance policies to protect you in the event you are in a situation where it is necessary to protect yourself by making use of your firearm. We live in a time where the world is upside down and I've had this nagging sense that I need to take out some type of carry insurance in the event I am in a situation that requires the use of a firearm for protection.
I have not taken any action yet but, I wanted to share some documentation that I've researched and received should anyone else need it.

NRA Carry Guard - I received the following information from them on 1/16/18, in email, after an inquiry I made.

Carry Guard Membership only:

NRA Carry Guard members get access to exclusive benefits unmatched by any other self-defense membership program in the world. Your annual membership fee of $69.45 offers you:

Access to world-class, comprehensive online and in-person training.
A free, giftable one-year NRA membership with full NRA member benefits.
A subscription to the premium NRA Carry Guard magazine filled with all the things carry related.
Access to the NRA Institute of Legislative Access.
Access to the Attorney Referral Network.
Free entry into the NRA Carry Guard Expo.

Carry Guard Membership with Insurance Benefit ($69.45 already included in prices)

Gold Plus ($549.95 annually or $49.95 monthly)
$1,500,000 of civil protection with $250,000 in criminal defense costs reimbursed after acquittal or dismissal, with up to 20% ($50,000) of the criminal defense costs limit available as supplementary payments.

Gold ($359.95 annually or $31.95 monthly)
$1,000,000 of civil protection with $150,000 in criminal defense costs reimbursed after acquittal or dismissal, with up to 20% ($30,000) of the criminal defense costs limit available as supplementary payments.

Silver ($254.95 annually or $21.95 monthly)
$500,000 of civil protection with $100,000 in criminal defense costs reimbursed after acquittal or dismissal, with up to 20% ($20,000) of the criminal defense costs limit available as supplementary payments.

Bronze ($154.95 annually or $13.95 monthly)
$250,000 of civil protection with $50,000 in criminal defense reimbursed after acquittal or dismissal, with up to 20% ($10,000) of the criminal defense costs limit available as supplementary payments.

Immediate access as needed to supplementary payments of up to 20% of the criminal defense limit include:
Attorney consultation and retainer fees
Bail money
Insured loss of earning up to $250 per day
Replacement of legally possessed firearms
Clean-up costs for the insured’s residence
Psychological support counseling

Each NRA Carry Guard named insured has his or her own insurance limit. Other plans may have a shared limit among all members.
Spouses are automatically covered, inside and outside the residence, at no additional cost.
Residential family members are covered for acts of self-defense in the home at no additional cost.
Civil Defense Legal Fees are paid by the carrier and do not reduce your overall limits.
All NRA Carry Guard benefits are fully insured. Other plans may utilize a committee to determine whether benefits apply.
Immediate access to the NRA attorney referral network and the ability to select your own counsel
Occurrence based policy. Other plans may mention “occurrence” but they are really a claims made policy.
The NRA endorsed insurance program has had a form of self-defense coverage since 2000.
Emergency hotline available 24/7.

We have additional information on the website under our FAQ at https://www.nracarryguard.com/help/faq/

I have the Gold package. I figured that the NRA researched all the insurance deals far better than I could ,so that`s what I went with. I didn`t want to look back after the fact and regret not buying protection.

I have the Gold package. I figured that the NRA researched all the insurance deals far better than I could ,so that`s what I went with. I didn`t want to look back after the fact and regret not buying protection.

Until I found a thread on this forum (from about a year ago) and the information on US LAW SHIELD, I almost went with the NRA protection too as I am an endowment member. I've put this off way to long now as the world we live in grows crazier by the day.

US Law Shield is unlimited payout for both criminal and civil defense. And, it pays up front, it’s not a reimbursement plan. It also does not denied coverage if found guilty. Think of this, your charged with a felony crime, things start getting really complicated and ugly (negative media, etc.) and it’s going to be a really long and taxing court proceedings. Or, you can accept a deal to plea to a misdemeanor and wrap it up quick. You’ve just plead guilty and NRA Carry Guard is going to deny reimbursement and wash their hands of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use USCCA and have for years before the NRA carry guard ever came out (it's been around about a year despite the fact that they deceptively say it started in 2000). There are plenty of reviews comparing the different companies online. But I would think REAL hard before signing up with the new kid on the block NRA carry guard over another better established self defense insurance. Here's a good comparison article: https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/shield-carry-guard-two-different-programs-compared/

For the benefit of full disclosure I made this decision to not choose NRA carry guard while an active NRA member, I've since let my NRA membership lapse following their consistent track record of crapping on the 2nd Amendment and switched to supporting GoA.

I use USCCA and have for years before the NRA carry guard ever came out (it's been around about a year despite the fact that they deceptively say it started in 2000). There are plenty of reviews comparing the different companies online. But I would think REAL hard before signing up with the new kid on the block NRA carry guard over another better established self defense insurance. Here's a good comparison article: https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/shield-carry-guard-two-different-programs-compared/

For the benefit of full disclosure I made this decision to not choose NRA carry guard while an active NRA member, I've since let my NRA membership lapse following their consistent track record of crapping on the 2nd Amendment and switched to supporting GoA.

You helped me do some research and make a decision. USCCA gave me a military discount and covered my wife with same coverage that literally was only 47.00 a year. Thank you for the link and post.

Back
Top Bottom