• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA sells out gun owners

Has anyone wrote the NRA and received a response?

Yes I've called and cancelled my membership, but in order for them to actually remove you from their rolls so they don't lie and claim they have so many members, you need to send a letter to the Fairfax address, Attn: Director of Membership, and include your membership number.

Aren't all collaborative relationships (marriage, political parties, world alliances) the union of disparate people(s) coming together for shared interests? Their constituents are NOT identical, they only share some common goals which are achievable via an organization but more difficult individually.

The reason we have a GOP that has libertarian, pro-business, and evangelical wings are not because the law bars those people from forming their own parties when their interests are not always the same. But they come together knowing they have a much higher chance of achieving their agenda together rather than separately.
Did we save the French in World War 2 because they think like us in any way except we also believe in free market democracy (or whatever something sorta like it is called in France). Cause we sure don't think like the French in most of the way society behaves.

Unions, like a marriage, are never a place where everyone gets exactly what they want. There may even be vigorous disagreement on some fundamental issues. But the question is not how much they agree or disagree. It is about when the rubber meets the road are they more successful together than apart. What if people got divorced based on every difference of opinion?

A thought experiment:
What if we woke up tomorrow and the NRA announced it had dissolved overnight. Their relationships with politicians were gone. Their lobbyists were gone. Their policy writers gone. The NRA "scorecards" were gone.
Would gun owners be in a better or worse position legislatively? Would [fill in the blank] congressman from [fill in the blank district] be compelled to meet with the GOA rep or whoever?

Why does the NRA even exist if every single person calling their congressmen to discuss every piece of firearm legislation was as effective as a few lobbyists wining and dining key influential legislators?

Maybe they know how to play the game. When everyone was hot about the shooting, the headlines all said "NRA agrees with Pelosi on bump stock ban." Now things are cooling off so today it became "NRA opposes bump stock ban" [LINK]. Who knows what it will be tomorrow?
:peep:

giphy.gif

Aren't all collaborative relationships (marriage, political parties, world alliances) the union of disparate people(s) coming together for shared interests? Their constituents are NOT identical, they only share some common goals which are achievable via an organization but more difficult individually.

The reason we have a GOP that has libertarian, pro-business, and evangelical wings are not because the law bars those people from forming their own parties when their interests are not always the same. But they come together knowing they have a much higher chance of achieving their agenda together rather than separately.
Did we save the French in World War 2 because they think like us in any way except we also believe in free market democracy (or whatever something sorta like it is called in France). Cause we sure don't think like the French in most of the way society behaves.

Unions, like a marriage, are never a place where everyone gets exactly what they want. There may even be vigorous disagreement on some fundamental issues. But the question is not how much they agree or disagree. It is about when the rubber meets the road are they more successful together than apart. What if people got divorced based on every difference of opinion?

A thought experiment:
What if we woke up tomorrow and the NRA announced it had dissolved overnight. Their relationships with politicians were gone. Their lobbyists were gone. Their policy writers gone. The NRA "scorecards" were gone.
Would gun owners be in a better or worse position legislatively? Would [fill in the blank] congressman from [fill in the blank district] be compelled to meet

giphy.gif

I think the NRA is feeling the heat lots of members where upset. This is how a democracy works. Every NRA member should oppose further gun laws. I don't hunt but when a hunting issue comes up like the lead ban I open my mouth. We need to work together.

I saw the NRA president on Face the Nation this morning - I think all the calls and membership cancellations are working. He said it was an ATF affair and that no new laws would have prevented anything like this anyway. Didn't look like he was looking for a compromise...but I guess time will tell.

How are they selling out? What I see is a strategy, the left is calling "ban ban ban" on everything from semi auto weapons, slidefire stocks, magazines etc. the nra sees slidefire stocks as something that is just a mere novelty. That's all it is nothing more and nothing less, it's a good middle ground in my opinion, something that your everyday gun owner more than likely had no interest in having until they found out they might get banned. Would you rather lose your stupid stock that makes you do mag dumps a little faster or all your rifles that are sitting in the safe? Big decisions are like chess Sometimes it's worth losing a pawn to save the king.

The NRA is supposed to be a mainstream organization of gun owners.
If that's true, then the NRA should recognize, as do virtually all people and even a super-majority of gun owners, that machineguns are not like regular guns and should not be sold under the same easygoing gun laws as sporting guns or even ordinary defensive firearms like most handguns or semi-auto carbines.

If the NRA can (and did, and always has) supported extra-tight restrictions on full autos and select fire guns, what's so wrong about them agreeing that devices that make semis function and lay down a barrage of gunfire just like full autos should be restricted like full autos?

If you beoytch about the NRA's position on bump fire stocks, are you saying that you want the NFA repealed and anybody can buy a machinegun the same way they buy a pump action Remington shotgun, or a Ruger 10/22?
Including buying a full auto conversion kit anonymously, online or mail-order, for for cash at a gun store, no questions asked?

If you seriously think the Second Amendment means "anybody can have any weapon they want and carry it anywhere, anonymously and no questions asked, no paperwork" THEN GO AHEAD AND QUIT THE N.R.A.
It wasn't meant for people like you anyway. That's not why the NRA was formed or what their core function is.

Feel free to start your own "any weapon I want and Eff You if you don't like it" group.
Really. Go for it.
But my NRA, the group I've been a member of for 40 years, and my father for 30 years before I was born, is NOT that group.

How are they selling out? What I see is a strategy, the left is calling "ban ban ban" on everything from semi auto weapons, slidefire stocks, magazines etc. the nra sees slidefire stocks as something that is just a mere novelty. That's all it is nothing more and nothing less, it's a good middle ground in my opinion, something that your everyday gun owner more than likely had no interest in having until they found out they might get banned. Would you rather lose your stupid stock that makes you do mag dumps a little faster or all your rifles that are sitting in the safe? Big decisions are like chess Sometimes it's worth losing a pawn to save the king.

It's selling out because they're encouraging the narrative of blaming inanimate objects for the deeds of a mad man. Plus it just looks completely hypocritical when we don't want to ban anything when a Muslim kills 49 people with his AR and 30rnd mags but all the sudden 9 more people are killed and that's where we draw the line and want to ban things.

Back
Top Bottom