• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA Support

I don't know either, but I hope that it can. If not, then at most the typical member is out $35 a year to keep their membership active for a couple of years.

The NRA has rebuilt itself before. I do think it's really a question of the 2020 election right now. If there had been an AM we might have seen a push to change the BoD, but I'm thinking Wayne will take his Golden Parachute and bail after the 2020 elections.

The NRA as a whole is still a good and worthwhile organization, just for the boots on the ground stuff they do. It's the top leadership and the board that have treating it like their own private money tree, and those are the folks that need to go.

We'll also have to see what happens with the NY 'investigation'. This was a woman who ran for state AG on 'breaking up' the NRA, which (foolishly) is still chartered in NY. And they aren't safe in their 'home' state of VA anymore either, where their HQ is located.

If the NRA does collapse though it will be a disaster at the national level. When it comes to Congress, they are the only game in town. To build a new national lobbying organization would be difficult, since the NRA had the numbers and that's what politicians care about.

If that comes to pass we'll be dependent on the courts, which thanks to the SAF and local groups have been making pretty good progress. But court cases take years to settle, while bad laws only take days to pass.

Beech all you want about how bump-stocks turned out, but the NRA kept much worse laws from even being discussed at the federal level by kicking the bump-stock can down the road until the initial, post-Vegas furor had died down.

That's what we need at the national level, and what we'll lose if we can't fix the NRA to the point where people want to be members again.

If you don't agree with what they are doing and don't plan on making donations, (I agree with that) why continue paying membership dues?
Because they continue to ask members to donate and I can continue to tell them why I won’t. I hope at some point someone in the org will listen and we can get back to work.

Because they continue to ask members to donate and I can continue to tell them why I won’t. I hope at some point someone in the org will listen and we can get back to work.
I'm not a member anymore and they still call me wanting donations.

LOL @ NRA being any kind of "force" at the national level. Why even the Cheeto in Chief himself was on the T.V. derisively dismissing the concerns of congressmen "afraid" of the NRA.

C'mon... I know you're bitter about them, but they have been the only national gun lobbyists for decades now with any traction on Capitol Hill.

On the flip side, you're right that they aren't much of a force with Congress these days, with all this garbage hanging over their head.

C'mon... I know you're bitter about them, but they have been the only national gun lobbyists for decades now with any traction on Capitol Hill.

On the flip side, you're right that they aren't much of a force with Congress these days, with all this garbage hanging over their head.

Im a life member. I have no delusions the NRA as it stands offers any sort of deterant in todays political environment. I place them on the same plane as Supreme Court Justice John Roberts and President Donald J Trump. Get mad if you wanna - buts its the truth. (Prove me wrong)

Nope, I can't argue with you. They have been effectively neutered by Wayne's scandals.

They still have millions of members, which counts for something in Congress, but like Trump and Roberts, the only thing that makes them look OK is the fact that there's lots of worse people who could be in the job...

If I was a Congress critter standing for reelection I wouldn't be any more afraid of the NRA and their "voters" than the man in the moon.

I got a letter yesterday wanting me back. I always just renewed year to year and never sent any extra. So I would send them $35 and they would send me $40 worth of mail wanting more. Why do they want me back? $35 probably won’t even buy Wayne a pair of socks.

I got a letter yesterday wanting me back. I always just renewed year to year and never sent any extra. So I would send them $35 and they would send me $40 worth of mail wanting more. Why do they want me back? $35 probably won’t even buy Wayne a pair of socks.
Shyte. His "intern's" latte mocha frappaccinos cost more than that.

Back
Top Bottom