• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NSCA / FITASC - What should I know

jon-d

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
534   3
Reaction score
Been shooting sporting clays for the last several years and would really like to start competing and get some registered clay shoots in.

Is NSCA the best place to start? FITASC?

I see the main group page is here and the Georgia section is here and it looks like there are plenty of opportunities around the state. I am not new to competition shooting and have competed in IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun and with these events it always seemed like you show up your first time and someone there will get you pointed in the right direction. Is that true with registered clay shoots as well?

Any advice for someone getting into it would be appreciated. I currently have 2 Beretta "clays" guns...an over / under and an Xcel sporting so I already have the "gear".

I am also a member at Elberton Gun club and may start my information hunt there next weekend when I am up there.

Any help or advice is appreciated in advance.

FITASC is like playing your first game of golf at the Masters. It's expensive, and there are all sorts of ticky rules you have to know (such as shooting low mount). It really separates the men from the boys, and it's a lot of fun, but not exactly where you want to start out.

Be that as it may, there are very few recreational FITASC parcours around. It is shot more recreationally in Europe than in the US of A.

Start with 5 stand or Sporting CLays. Elberton has an excellent course in both, and you will do well to practice there.

The GSCA has an excellent weekly newsletter, contact John Letsinger on the page you linked to and get on the mailing list.

IF you are serious about getting serious, there are two things you can get done.

First is get one of your guns fitted to you by a professional gunfitter. There are usually a couple at the bigger shoots, and you just missed the state championship. Don't rely on Fred at the gun club who tells you to hold in your elbow, and that's your LOP. The newsletter will clue you in on all the big shoots.

Right now I recommend the The Country Gentleman in FLorence AL for fitting. He comes to a lot of GA shoots if you don't want to make the trip.

Secondly, find an established coach and take lessons, just like you would in any other sport. In the long run, this will save you money, from having to unlearn things you have spent hundreds of dollars learning wrong.

If you shoot a couple of practice rounds at Elberton, you can go to a tournament and be able to fit in. If you can go with a couple of people you know, it's more enjoyable, but by and large the guys and gals at tournaments are a gregarious bunch, and you will fit in. You do not have to be a member of the NSCA to shoot a tournament, so feel free to just show up.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

BTW Charlie Elliot at Social Circle has a good inexpensive 5 stand.

FITASC is like playing your first game of golf at the Masters. It's expensive, and there are all sorts of ticky rules you have to know (such as shooting low mount). It really separates the men from the boys, and it's a lot of fun, but not exactly where you want to start out.

Thank you greatly for all the help! I have heard that fitting a gun to you is worth its weight in gold and makes a huge difference. I have absolutely fallen in love with shooting clays. When I was shooting 3Gun and IDPA I felt like it was work and after a match I was mentally and physically exhausted (and somewhat ready for it to be over to be honest). Maybe that's a sign I never "really" enjoyed it. After a day of clays I feel refreshed.

This has given me a lot to think on and research. If I hit snags or have questions I will shoot you a PM.

Thanks again for the response. I do believe a registered match is going to be soon on the horizon.

Back
Top Bottom