• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nylon 66 Scratches and Swirls

Epic thread fail. 3 pages so far and no pics.
I'm definitely in for before and after pics with process to get it done

I have yet to post before and after pictures because so far.... nothing has worked. I am afraid most suggestions here will further the damage since it seems the Nylon is a beast in itself and doesnt quite fit with other plastic polishing methods....

I see why there are no replacement stocks. The receiver is nylon as well and is part of the stock. It just has a piece of sheetmetal on it to look like a metal receiver.

As mentioned, no success stories about restoring these.

Anyone tried a wrap or hydro dip?

I have polished aircraft windows and canopys using an orbital sander with micron rated buffing pads and water. (Wet sand) finishing it off with 3m polishing compounds. Perfect results. However these micron discs are hard to find outside of the aircraft industry. Hint hint.....you have a lead on where to start looking. Long and multi step process, materials to do the job would cost much more than the rifle, but I would try.
Good luck!

It's not for orbital sanders but there is a brand called Micro Mesh readily available online. It's wet or dry sand and goes up to 15,000 grit. I've used it for years doing final polishing of woodworking, usually wood pens. Works great for the type polishing you are talking about on the aviation side.

It's not for orbital sanders but there is a brand called Micro Mesh readily available online. It's wet or dry sand and goes up to 15,000 grit. I've used it for years doing final polishing of woodworking, usually wood pens. Works great for the type polishing you are talking about on the aviation side.

ok who out there is going to be the guinea pig? :confused::)

Funny you found a guitar video, I build guitars! Don't use micro mesh on them, I use wet dry sandpaper up to 2000 grit then a series of different automotive polishing products in a specific order. Guitars cover with lacquer finishes just like cars so the polishing sequence is amazingly similar.

If I had a Nylon 66 I'd test it out. Unfortunately I've never owned one.

Back
Top Bottom