• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OAL >26"... Vertical Foregrip?

SGT AE Houk

Default rank <1000 posts
Knight's Armament Elitist
99   0
Reaction score
I'm starting to almost not even want to mess with it anymore, as I'm getting conflicting reports left and right.

2 local gun shops have told me not just "no", but "HELL no" when putting a VFG on a braced AR pistol that's OAL exceeds 26", but I can find letters and some YouTube videos that say it's completely fine as it's considered a "firearm" and no longer held to the definitions of a pistol nor rifle.

Can anyone point out some actual information regarding this, that I can print out and store?

Just about to just play it safe and go the angled foregrip route...

Thanks ODT as always!

https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/

Never ask or trust someone else's opinion when it comes to NFA/firearm laws. Reading the laws and educating yourself on the subject is the only way to go.

The OAL measurement is with stock completely extended, but does not say anything about pistol brace (now that they come adjustable). So, personally, I would not do it unless my buffer tube made it greater than 26".

That seems to be the only thing I've found. But holy smokes, you mentioned "OAL" "26 inches" and "VFG" anywhere near a Roswell gun shop and you get all kinds of rage... I guess they just spooked me a little is all.

Something else I thought about, is the OAL is measured in its smallest configurable state, shouldnt it be measured from the end of the brace itself to the threads? Why the hell would I need to measure from half of my product as it wasn't designed to be fired from the buffer tube as it's a brace?

Back
Top Bottom