• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Observations from recent carbine courses I've taught.....

Sorry for being off topic. But since there is some conversation about AKs and ARs. What do you think of the PWS rifles and there operating system. But back on topic. Back in the early 90s I shot a lot of competition IPSC. Most of the failures I saw were guys who jumped to modify their pistol every time the latest and greatest item appeared. I have always bought the best I could get and then just shot it. Never have tinkered. I always figured good manufacturers and smiths new a lot more than me. I have never had a mechanical failure from any of my guns. I have a Para P16 that cost me $2500 to have built in 1992 that has over 50000 rods through and have only changed springs in it over the years. It has never failed. If the majority of people would put their money in ammo and practice they would find that is what improves their skills. Not the latest fad.

PWS makes a great rifle/carbine. Op system is similar to an AK.........it's a long-stroke piston system instead of most everybody else's piston-driven AR's which use a stroke-stroke system. The piston is attached to the BCG.

The piston systems add weight to the weapon. In addition to the weight of the added parts, the barrels tend to be thicker to fight the accuracy-robbing vibrations that the pistons impart to the barrel. Ever picked up a 12" HK 416? Weighs more than my 16" DDM4 V1.

Gotta admit though, PWS's carbines don't weigh much more than a comparably equipped DDM4.

I prefer the DGI system for a 16" carbine. I prefer pistons for SBR's and running lots of rounds through a suppressor. Not that you can't run a DGI gun in those configurations......buddy of mine spent many years in both Marine Force Recon and NSW and carried a 12" DGI M4 all over Iraq and Afghanistan. He said they never had a problem with them, but being military, they cleaned them after every mission whether they were fired or not.

Last edited:
dondon48, thanks!

10thmountain, y'all were in Mogadishu at the same time as me. Before that I did some training with 10th Mountain in Bridgeport CA/Ft McCoy WI/Norway-Finland. Good cold weather fighters........much better than me! I hate cold weather.......which is anything under 55 degrees! LOL

cmshoot cmshoot I need to check out your long range class, but i might have drill that weekend... I'll check and let you know. I have a Savage 110 in .308 I need to get dope on, but the glass is a 20 y/o Springfield sniper scope, works great at 100 meters. But I would hate to have it fail on the course...

EugenFJR, I always have a spare scope or 2 that I bring to the classes in case someone has an issue. I can loan ya one. Next class is July 25-26!

EugenFJR, I always have a spare scope or 2 that I bring to the classes in case someone has an issue. I can loan ya one. Next class is July 25-26!

Thanks, we need to talk... I did the SDM army course, but havent shot at distance for about 3 years. Your in Dallas, I'd like to meet sometime before and talk long to med. range rifle rigs. ( If your willing...)

What AR maker is O.K. with steel cased ammo. I do not know of any that even say is is O.K., but not recommender.

the only problem i have had out of a build it yourself AR had nothing to do with the rifle..cheap red dot and low powered AR scopes falling apart or self induced malfunctions..but sticking to factory specific parts and not over modification i agree with completely..never use the steel crap ammo if you value your rifle

Back
Top Bottom