• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Obsidian 9 vs. TiRant 9M vs. Odessa 9

sparked1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
205   0
Reaction score
I'm torn between these three 9mm cans. The modularity and slimness of the Odessa is great but my potential hosts already have suppressor sights or are carbines so the slimness is not really a huge advantage for me. To get the sound level I want (low 120s) the can is going to have to be roughly 8" regardless so modularity isn't a huge advantage for me either. Besides both the 9M and Obsidian are also modular (only two configs). I'll be using mostly long config.

• I like that the 9M comes with two pistons and not too heavy, but all baffles except blast baffle are aluminum so may suck for .22 which is a concern (cleaning). AAC being owned by Freedom Group worries me a bit as well.
  • The Rugged Obsidian 9 lifetime warranty is nice but maybe a bit long in the tooth? Plus it's the heaviest.
  • Dead Air is more expensive by almost $200 but it's definitely the nicest. Full length is almost 9" though! But it's light.
  • Also looking at the Gemtech Lunar 9 - Newer can and IN STOCK. Everything else is out of stock right now.

I guess it's going to come down to service. Who's will stand behind their product for the life of the can? What else should I be looking at for a 9mm/.22 can? Main concerns are sound reduction, mfg reputation/service, size/weight in that order. Looking for some here advice.

I would personally just run a .22 can on a .22. If I'm looking for the quietest 9mm I would look at the CGS Kraken or Mod 9. A lot of tests are showing numbers under 120db's with 158&165gr subsonic rounds. If I had to choose between the options listed, Dead Air might be best bet, due to AAC/Gemtech being bought out and I dont know how their leadership will lead the companies.

I would personally just run a .22 can on a .22. If I'm looking for the quietest 9mm I would look at the CGS Kraken or Mod 9. A lot of tests are showing numbers under 120db's with 158&165gr subsonic rounds. If I had to choose between the options listed, Dead Air might be best bet, due to AAC/Gemtech being bought out and I dont know how their leadership will lead the companies.

There’s so many options now it’s insane. I’ll take a look at CGS. Thx.

If you haven't watched nfa review channel on YouTube it's worth a look for some of his reviews. The Cgs group cans are top runners and if you join his patreon you can save a pretty penny. Is the obsidian 45 with a 9mm end cap not an option? If I were buying a 9mm can now, I'd be looking at the 45 cans that support 9mm use. I have an Evo 9 and no 9mm handgun host and a USP45T with no 45 can so I'm in a pickle in that sense.

If you haven't watched nfa review channel on YouTube it's worth a look for some of his reviews. The Cgs group cans are top runners and if you join his patreon you can save a pretty penny. Is the obsidian 45 with a 9mm end cap not an option? If I were buying a 9mm can now, I'd be looking at the 45 cans that support 9mm use. I have an Evo 9 and no 9mm handgun host and a USP45T with no 45 can so I'm in a pickle in that sense.

Yeah, the .45 cans are a bit too large for my liking. Plus I only have a couple .45 pistols and not that interested in suppressing them.

Every test i've seen of the Lunar 9 is not that quiet..... like at all compared to the others.

Look at the Griffin Revolution 9 too, impressive sound numbers. I would have bought one already but theyve been back ordered for months.

Back
Top Bottom