• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Odd .45acp reloading problem - Have you seen this before?

biker_bill

Marines Icon Supporter
USMC - Grunt
84   0
Reaction score
A buddy just got into reloading and was having a problem in the de-prime stage on his progressive press.
So I went over to take a look. I ended up bring all his .45acp brass back here. I put it on the press to just de-prime and quite a few of the primers aren't popping out. They're busting down at the bottom of the primer. Some will come completely off, some will open and just hold by a tab like the lid on a can.

It all looks good. It's all Winchester best I can tell. In 10's of thousands of rounds I've never seen anything like it. You can do 10 good ones then hit a bad one. Maybe 2, 3 or even 4 bad ones in a row, then good ones again.

I figure the brass is trash when only the bottom of the primer comes out. I'd be hard pressed spending any time trying to get the rim out.

I just haven't ever seen this before. Has anyone seen this? Do you know the reason for it?

Thanks,
Bill

I've had it happen before . It is a pain . I blamed it on brass sitting for a long time.
I don't know. I was able to salvage the brass and after cleaning had no more issues.
I think I deprimed most of it with a Lee depriming rod and tapped slow to get it to move a little. Slow but better than scrapping out the brass.

I've had it happen before . It is a pain . I blamed it on brass sitting for a long time.
I don't know. I was able to salvage the brass and after cleaning had no more issues.
I think I deprimed most of it with a Lee depriming rod and tapped slow to get it to move a little. Slow but better than scrapping out the brass.

I was thinking maybe it had sat awhile too. That might be it. He bought a thousand from the brass exchange and who knows where they got it from or when. I was doing the same thing with a Lee universal decapper. Slow to get it going, but still missing maybe 10%. When the bottom of the old primer rips they get stuck in the shell holder. I'll take a couple pictures, because someone asked.

Yes I have seen that before. Although I am not exactly sure of what causes that I believe that it may be the primer manufacturer. I have a group of 45acp large primers that did that once. I had to make a tool the pry them out in order to save the brass.

Notice on the first one the bottom of the primer is gone, but the rim of the primer is still in.
On the 2nd one notice how the old primer gave way and his hanging like a lid on a tin can.
Damnest thing I've seen in a while, lol.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 79
If you want to take a little time most of the brass can be saved. I took a 7mm deep 1/4 drive socket with a short extension to help hold the brass. Then I took and ground down a small old screwdriver to a point and pried the primers out. Most came out pretty easily. I had a batch of about 200 that did this. I could not bring myself to toss that many 45acp brass, lol.

Back
Top Bottom