Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I watch triathlons on tv, so yeah.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I really need to work on this.

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • I order my tacos in threes.

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters
This thread fell apart faster than the line for mayonnaise at the hood store.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was probably not ever going to be a thread with universal appeal. I know it is somewhat self serving but really wanted a format to be a little accountable to during the next 7 weeks. There are several of us that are participating and that's good. If it helps 4-5 of us improve our lives, that's much more than most threads on here accomplish.

Was probably not ever going to be a thread with universal appeal. I know it is somewhat self serving but really wanted a format to be a little accountable to during the next 7 weeks. There are several of us that are participating and that's good. If it helps 4-5 of us improve our lives, that's much more than most threads on here accomplish.

I applaud your efforts. I was grabbing a cup of coffee post workout at the gym when I responded.

I was tracking for sound advice - my wife and I both quit a lifetime addiction to tobacco 7 years ago - I began a fitness program then to overcome years of neglect.

As I get older I constantly seek methods to not only maintain but improve fitness level with a focus on injury prevention in strength training - a torn muscle at this stage would be life altering.

Most of our lifestyles are so sedate that without controlled focus, we’re going to become soft and unhealthy as we age.......not my optimum choice.

I applaud your efforts. I was grabbing a cup of coffee post workout at the gym when I responded.

I was tracking for sound advice - my wife and I both quit a lifetime addiction to tobacco 7 years ago - I began a fitness program then to overcome years of neglect.

As I get older I constantly seek methods to not only maintain but improve fitness level with a focus on injury prevention in strength training - a torn muscle at this stage would be life altering.

Most of our lifestyles are so sedate that without controlled focus, we’re going to become soft and unhealthy as we age.......not my optimum choice.

Good for you and you wife, for quitting the smoking and seeking a greater level of fitness. I am with you on the injury prevention. Though people can and do injure themselves pursuing fitness goals, I currently am nursing plantar fasciitis, the far more likely scenario is an injury caused by a lack of fitness. Osteoporosis, falls caused by lack of muscle control or coordination, poor joint condition due to lack of muscle and tendon support and of course obesity have a profound detrimental effect on the aging. I am not unfit but want to use this time to kick it to the next level.

Going to post time in plank, number of push-ups and weight, any other metric you can think of that would be beneficial I would be glad to include. 1mile run time might be a good one but I have had a plantar fascia problem for the last two months and had to lay off running, my cardio will be on a stationary bike, so got me run time would be a no go. Thanks for joining in.

I would recommend something similar to a APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) which includes an Upper Body Strength portion, an Abdominal (both mid-line and oblique) Strength Portion and a Cardiovascular assessment.

1st event: 2 min Push Ups (10 min rest)
2nd event: 2 Min Sit Ups (10 min rest)
3rd event: 2 Mile Run (Complete)

I personally would add in Chin-ups or Pull-ups so you're not just assessing your Chest/Shoulders/Triceps but your Back/Biceps.

Modify it for your issues with your feet. I run 19 + miles a week (an actual tempo/pace run) and my feet take a beating. I take a hardened ball and roll my feet on it while I'm watching TV. Try it.

Would very much like to max the AFPT test they just came out with

I'm not sold on it, but I do think the APFT needs a lot of work. The two issues that are going to hinder it:

1- The time it is going to take to set up and break down.
2- The conversion of training methods for those looking to max this new test. A lot of soldiers are going to struggle with that and some of them might be high ranking enough to get it changed, again.

I believe they need to do something similar to the REFactor's Upper Body Assessment, a distance run for time, a Lower Body Assessment and finally a ruck for time. I will say MOS specfic tests are the best methodology to make sure that soliders are getting the best training. 11Bs, 11Cs, 12Bs, 11As, 18Bs, 18Cs, 18Ds, etc shouldn't be at the same standard as an 88M etc etc etc

Last thing Horsehat, you MUST obtain a baseline in all events you're going to test. If you do not, it won't matter what you do from there.

“I believe they need to do something similar to the REFactor's Upper Body Assessment, a distance run for time, a Lower Body Assessment and finally a ruck for time. I will say MOS specfic tests are the best methodology to make sure that soliders are getting the best training. 11Bs, 11Cs, 12Bs, 11As, 18Bs, 18Cs, 18Ds, etc shouldn't be at the same standard as an 88M etc etc etc”

I totally agree, back in the day when slick Willie was our President we were required to do the minimum ie 45/45 for PU/SU, but they had to be perfect! Most guys ended up doing closer to 60,

Each team had there on PT Standards on top of the standard Army’s test ,which we considered a joke..

I would add medic MOS (91B) as well as any other combat support MOS that could see DA to your list

Back
Top Bottom