Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

ODT Auctions - A primer.

Thread in 'The Pasture' started by palmettomoon, Nov 20, 2018.

1. palmettomoon

palmettomoon The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

77   0

Rating
    100%
    Not the charity type. I'm talking about how to conduct an ODT auction for your stuff.

List the item at 2/3 to 1/2 present market value. It's okay to act like you don't have a computer and can't look up closed auctions on gunbroker to get an idea of its actual market value. Just put something like this in your ad, "I don't know nuffin about these things, got it in a trade." Or use "OBO" for or best offer.

The bids:

First know that some neckbeards are going to try to lowball your already low asking price but that's okay. You aren't under any obligation to answer a PM.

Most people that PM will be placing bids that are much higher than your asking price. That's what you want. Don't pay attention to your thread because lots of people think there are rules here like other sites. Simply typing an "I'll take it!" or an "I'll buy this!" don't mean squat here. You should ignore those guys unless you want to PM them and tell them you've got a better offer locally (code speak for someone driving from Columbus to Canton to pay you 2.5X your asking price). Sometimes they'll up their bid of your asking price to try to compete with the 30+ other offers you've received.

Remember to play coy, act like you really don't know what you are doing here but need to sail it soon.

When you've received all the bids you think you'll get, decide if the highest bid is the one you'll accept and PM that guy to arrange a meet/time to conduct the cell. Only through PMs setting a meet location and time allow you recourse for feedback. Any other communications you have with the other bidders can't be held against you as long as you don't set a meeting time and location. Be nice, respectful, don't allow your emotions to get your back up. You are holding an auction, it's not personal. You aren't breaking any rules at all, just trying to sail your items.

Good luck and good auctioning!

2. Kahrnut

Kahrnut The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

121   0

Rating
    100%
  3. palmettomoon

Supporter

77   0

Rating
    100%
    LOL, "The Pasture." I thought I was helping out new sailors.

4. fast306stang

fast306stang The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

178   0

Rating
    100%
    lmao, where was it originally?

5. palmettomoon

Supporter

77   0

Rating
    100%
    Stupid stuff I think. I suspect some staff don't like the truth being told so out to pasture it goes.

BanjoJohn, inkandammo, RevCov and 2 others like this.
  6. Joshua223

Joshua223 ODT Junkie!

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Man, I've listed some stuff cheap before but didn't get any bids. Must be doing it wrong.

jeep78, RevCov and palmettomoon like this.
  7. chazehen

chazehen Frontiersman Supporter

Supporter

28   0

Rating
    100%
    God, I wish I had the patience to run it like that. I'll take my $50-100 losses and keep moving. That's just my user fee. The $100 worth of ammo I have to throw in is the stimulus package.

Allsmiles and palmettomoon like this.
  8. HERMET

HERMET The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

24   0

Rating
    100%
    Thanks for the primer. I've lost money on everything I ever sold here. I am most definitely doing it wrong.

chazehen likes this.
  9. palmettomoon

Supporter

77   0

Rating
    100%
    Of you really want it to sail, list it cheap and take the highest bid. If you ask 60-80% of market price you'll likely just wind up with a bunch of mouth breathers sending lowballs.

10. BCM1323654788

BCM1323654788 Frontiersman

22   0

Rating
    100%
    Buyers on here aren't smart enough to do research and price checks, they just want a gun without paperwork. As long as your ad says "deal of the day" or "less than what I paid" they'll never know the difference!