• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT / CMP Range Invasion-**POSTPONED***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Yugo SKS very heavily covered in cosmoline. Cleaning the area where that floating firing pin is seems challenging doing it right.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Put it in a coffee can and pour boiling water over it. Let it soak for a couple minutes then clean with mineral spirits and lightly oil it

I have a Yugo SKS very heavily covered in cosmoline. Cleaning the area where that floating firing pin is seems challenging doing it right.

did you try putting it ina black thrash bag and setting it in the sun on a hot day? it will melt all the cosmoline out

did you try putting it ina black thrash bag and setting it in the sun on a hot day? it will melt all the cosmoline out

I haven't started the clean up yet, but I've heard that's a great way to melt away lots of it. I'll definitely go that route. Thanks for the tip!!

Boiling water works great for softening up cosmoline. The water and metal is hot enough that it'll vaporize off of the surface, so it won't rust.
20161110_200543.jpg
20161110_191758.jpg

In terms of corrosive ammo, water is fine. Salts in the primer are what causes ammo to be labeled corrosive, so it's as simple as washing it out. Salt is water soluble, so that's all you need. Some people swear by Windex, but that stuff is nearly all water anyways. What little bit of ammonia is in there won't make a difference neutralizing any salts because it's all getting rinsed out anyways.
I pretty much swear by Hoppes as an all purpose cleaner. It's cheap, smells great, and works.

I think we have the vintage rifle sharing covered. LOL!

If anyone wants to play with a few more modern boomers, feel free to walk up and ask to play with anything I have with me. Um, uh... that's any firearms I have with me. :rolleyes:

If you haven't met me, I'm kind of hard to miss. 6'4" 230lbs with dark brown hair and a grey beard. :thumb:

Don't be shy, come say "Hi"!!!!!

Boiling water works great for softening up cosmoline. The water and metal is hot enough that it'll vaporize off of the surface, so it won't rust.
View attachment 1028693 View attachment 1028694

In terms of corrosive ammo, water is fine. Salts in the primer are what causes ammo to be labeled corrosive, so it's as simple as washing it out. Salt is water soluble, so that's all you need. Some people swear by Windex, but that stuff is nearly all water anyways. What little bit of ammonia is in there won't make a difference neutralizing any salts because it's all getting rinsed out anyways.
I pretty much swear by Hoppes as an all purpose cleaner. It's cheap, smells great, and works.
I appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom