• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT Cooks get in here. Catfish Stew Recipe Request!

mo mauser

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
The weather stinks and I have catfish in the freezer. I want some white catfish stew. Years ago another ODTer had a weekend deer hunt and everyone brought a crock pot/slow cooker of food. The catfish stew was awesome but the cook still won't give up the recipe. Can ODT help a brother out like we did with the Brunswick stew thread and post your recipe? Thanks

Man, those were good times! I really enjoyed when we used to do that. I can’t remember exactly who brought the stew you are referring to but the way Granddaddy always did it was start with a layer of sliced onions, then a layer of sliced potatoes, then a layer of catfish, and repeat those three till you ran out of stuff. Add salt and peeper and a water (believe he put enough water to put about half of the contents under water) so it didn’t burn as it started cooking. Turned it on medium and let it cook in the pot in the stove till the taters were done and it was ready to eat.

Thanks for making me think about this. Good memories and I haven’t made a good catfish stew in years (probably back in those days to be honest). Let me know what you decide to go with and how it turns out.

Man, those were good times! I really enjoyed when we used to do that. I can’t remember exactly who brought the stew you are referring to but the way Granddaddy always did it was start with a layer of sliced onions, then a layer of sliced potatoes, then a layer of catfish, and repeat those three till you ran out of stuff. Add salt and peeper and a water (believe he put enough water to put about half of the contents under water) so it didn’t burn as it started cooking. Turned it on medium and let it cook in the pot in the stove till the taters were done and it was ready to eat.

Thanks for making me think about this. Good memories and I haven’t made a good catfish stew in years (probably back in those days to be honest). Let me know what you decide to go with and how it turns out.
I hear you. Bill brought it but he ain't giving up that recipe. At least not yet. I remember it had bacon in it!

Back
Top Bottom