• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Office/Computer chair: Herman Miller or Steelcase

Outlier

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
106   0
Reaction score
So I'm in desperate need of another chair for my computer desk as the one I currently have, all the adjustments are broken on it and I have fell out of it at least once.

I don't use my computer to earn my living so I was never keen on dropping a grand on a chair but recently heard about these companies that buy and resell office furniture from start-ups that went belly up and it's usually the high-end stuff.

I'm looking for durability first, comfort second. I've only gotten about two years out of the last two chairs that I have bought. The first one being a generic chair off of Amazon and the second being one of the Massdrop office chairs. I'm willing to spend up to $600 on a chair this time.

I've seen mixed reviews on the Herman Miller's and the Steelcase. People seem to prefer one or the other. Or should I just expect to buy a cheaper new chair every year or so? Let me know down below. Thanks.

We have one of each...both were free from my office when we moved from 180 Peachtree to Norcross. Both were still new with tags too....

I have found my Steelcase chair to be more comfortable for me since I am heavy-set. The Herman Miller mesh is too stretchy for a fatty like me.

My tiny wisp of a wife prefers the Herman Miller chair.

Both chairs are well made and highly adjustable....

TresMonos TresMonos

Do you know how long you have owned them?
We moved to the Norcross office in 2017....and in 2019 I brought both chairs to Colorado with us.... The only thing I have done is replace the wheels with skateboard type rubber wheels to save our wood floors. Both chairs still look pretty much new too. I use my Steelcase 40 hours a week. The wife's chair isn't used as much.

I make my living in front of a computer and have spent countless hours in both brands. Herman Miller all the way. The used ones are a good value. Also make sure you do some research as there are 3 sizes of Herman Miller chairs and various wheels and so forth for type of flooring. Right now, I am actually using high backed drafting stool as an experiment. I like it so far. If it doesn't work out, I'll go back to my Herman Miller.

There’s a company in Atlanta that resells office chairs, & has rows & rows of them. A few years ago they let me try them out and pick the ones that I wanted. I think I paid about $100 each for two Steelcase chairs. They were nothing fancy, typical cubicle chairs, but they were heavy and heavy duty.

Best thing to do is see if you can try before you buy, check all the functions to make sure they work, & decide for yourself which brand/style you prefer. Also as mentioned above, research the Herman Miller chair sizes and options. There’s a good one on YouTube that gives the rundown.

My family has been in the office furniture business since the 1960's. The chairs you listed are good brands for sure. One company I'd also look at is Seating Inc. out of Nunda, NY. This brand has been one of my family's top sellers for the last 10-15 years. No telling how many they have sold to local government offices, public utility companies, etc. They have had very, very few quality issues and most have a lifetime warranty to back that up.

Back
Top Bottom