• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

Government minted bullion coins also have dates on them. Most private mints rounds do not. The value of a 2015 Silver Eagle is lower than the value of a 2005 Eagle and a 1999 Eagle is even more. They DO appreciate as coin value based not only on their date but on the number of them minted and other circumstances. Take the 1995 W Eagle, minted in West Point. There were only about 31,000 minted in West Point and it was the first year the Eagle was minted in West point so while the Eagles for 1995 from other mints are worth about $35, the West point mint marked ones go for thousands of dollars each. Still only an ounce of silver but the rarity of the mintage is what makes it so valuable. Private mints can not offer that.

As for post SHTF currency, look also to "junk silver" coinage. US coins that are not in good enough condition to be numismatically valuable but are still 90% silver. Pre 1965 dollar, half dollar, quarter and dime coins are 90% silver. From 1965-1972 they are 40% silver. These coins are potentially valuable as post SHTF currency and as bullion. The 90% will be marketable to assayers for reclaiming the silver but unless silver gets VERY valuable, the 40% will be less desirable since the smelting/reclaiming processes will be more expensive than the silver is worth.

"I've looked at like 5 oz bars but the price is too much for me now and it seemed like if I needed to possibly use them as currency after an economic meltdown the 1 oz pieces would be easier to use than the bars. Right now I'm looking at some half oz Silvetown rounds on eBay.I figured it woulds hurt to have a few halves"

BINGO! This is why I don't concentrate on gold. The denominations are too large for apocalyptic barter.

They make some really cool "breakable" bars. I tripped over one of these and grabbed it up:
stagecoach_breakable.jpg

and Provident has these:

snap-bullion-divisible-silver-bars.jpg

And my problem with Gold is, as mentioned, it's too expensive to be useful in most SHTF situations. Just make you a target more likely. But in NON-SHTF t can't really afford to buy by the ounce and buying 1/10, 1/4 or even 1/2 ounce bars makes the premium just awful. A 1/4 ounce bar or round will end up going for a price that equates to $100-300 an ounce more than buying an ounce.

And my problem with Gold is, as mentioned, it's too expensive to be useful in most SHTF situations. Just make you a target more likely. But in NON-SHTF t can't really afford to buy by the ounce and buying 1/10, 1/4 or even 1/2 ounce bars makes the premium just awful. A 1/4 ounce bar or round will end up going for a price that equates to $100-300 an ounce more than buying an ounce.
Got any silver you'd sell?

That's kinda what I figured. When I first started following the silver market late last year I mostly looked at Eagles and Maple Leaves. But then I noticed that they were always about $2.00 higher than say the Silvetown rounds. I assumed that was due to them having coin collector value.
The few I have been able to buy have been 1 oz rounds. I've looked at like 5 oz bars but the price is too much for me now and it seemed like if I needed to possibly use them as currency after an economic meltdown the 1 oz pieces would be easier to use than the bars. Right now I'm looking at some half oz Silvetown rounds on eBay.I figured it woulds hurt to have a few halves.
Save your money, pool together, amd.buy at a certain.spot price only

I wait till i.have at least 200 to play with and wait till its like 15 something spot. I value pieces at 20 bucks myself, so the idea is to buy low and hold it.

This is not a good investment, but an excellent way to.diversify amd store wealth

Back
Top Bottom