• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

FOR pretty and silver just go with rounds. Cheaper by the ounce, just as pretty and a million designs to look at.

For slow, but real growth of value, go with government minted cbullion coins(US Silver Eagles mainly). Eagles, Maple Leafs, Philharmonics, Australian Kookaburras, New Zealand Tokelaus, etc. They will gain a little value with the years.

For SHTF currency, look at 90% silver junk coins. Not as pretty but can be found at spot(or close to it) and sill always be silver.

I am interested in this. But I do have an honest question.
How do you know that silver will be the preferred post apocalyptic currency?
Why not Gold, Lead, Salt or copper? Maybe even toilet paper or canned goods?

Probably because gold cost too much. I imagine can goods will be very valuable. In a very long shtf situation I'm not bartering for toilet paper lol.

For me, Silver Eagles, silver rounds, in that order. I love Silver Eagles.

If you just want quantity, buy silver rounds. I personally don't care for bars, just because. Remember, the lower the price, to greater the potential upside.

Agree again. I have some bars but I got them all at spot. Never pay a premium for bars. Bleh. My last few orders were in Philharmonics and I ended up ordering one of every date I could find. I paid 25-75 cents more an ounce to do it but I like having a set of some things.

One of the hardest things for me is fighting the urge to become a collector again. I used to collect coins. My silver is for the bullion and SHTF currency. But, as with the Philharmonics, I find myself thinking in terms of collections.

Probably because gold cost too much. I imagine can goods will be very valuable. In a very long shtf situation I'm not bartering for toilet paper lol.

I'm just curious. A month or two into a shtf situation I just don't see a lot of people bartering for anything or dealing in silver transactions.

I'm just curious. A month or two into a shtf situation I just don't see a lot of people bartering for anything or dealing in silver transactions.
There will always be greedy people in the world. Precious metals will be sought after. Gold and silver have always been a way to show how much wealth one has.

I see your point, and this is an accepted school of thought.

However, gold and silver have been constant means of exchange and have been valued for thousands of years. In my opinion they will be desired as a means of exchange and value no matter the situation. They are a known and respected medium of exchange.

Even in the event of an apocalypse, it will be over someday, and gold and silver will still be desired and valuable.

Just my opinion.

Know? Well now... Hmmm.

Based on history, currency has to have some real value. Paper money is for more advanced societal structures since it's ONLY value is in the collective belief of the people who use it. Lead is useful IF you can convert it to a useful form. Otherwise you are just carrying around a heavy, ugly material that has limited uses and is toxic to useless for all other purposes. Consumable commodities like salt, toilet paper and canned goods are greatly needed and useful to barter but you would consume yourself broke eventually. Copper, sure, but again, based on history, less valuable(although more commonly used) than silver or gold. Gold, of course but rarer and heavier. For me, silver is the middle ground and I believe it will prove to be the balanced currency medium.

By "a month or two" do you mean in the first month or two or do you mean after a month or two? The first month or two of a SHTF, people will be stealing, raiding and then forming communities that cooperate and barter. After there is some settling, a couple to a few months in, then barter will give way to some form of currency. Useful items will be currency at first, say bullets. They are portable and valuable. But they will become more and more valuable and "inflationary" as they are consumed. People who can't afford to part with the few rounds they have left will need some other method of paying for things. Again, history shows that for as long as there have been societies, there have been currencies and for most of that time, copper, silver and gold have served as the mediums of currency.

All those items will be of value. Do not forget tampons too ( just read up on the latest from Venezuela). Also small bottles of common brand distilled spirits. Common caliber ammo will be desirable.

But for thousands of years and in many civilizations around the globe, gold and silver have been recognized as a store of value and medium of exchange.

Portability of precious metals sets them apart from salt and other heavy or bulky items. One could carry 100 pounds of silver or 1.5 pounds of gold and have about the same value. Copper of the same value would be close to 600 pounds in weight.

All fiat currencies fail (especially when not backed by gold) after a long enough period of time.

Hope you give your precious metals to your grand kids and hope they never need them.

Back
Top Bottom