• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

I think gold is overvalued compare to silver, or silver is undervalued. Historical silver to gold ratio is 25 to 1, now it hovers around 75 to 1 or 85 to 1.
So silver should be 3 times more expensive. I agree that banks have repatriating gold. Germany from US, Texas Retirement system from bank of New York. I cannot really see gold being worth 1/3 of what it is now, so silver has to be undervalued.

While both metals are used in industry and jewelry, silver is by far used more in industrial/technological applications than gold is, so if there was any shortage whatsoever, it would be widely known, and be reflected in it's price, (as per the law of supply & demand) yet, it's price is a fraction of what it's been in recent years. And, there's no real motivation for anyone (other than the mining operations) to downwardly manipulate the silver price, like there is for gold. Unlike gold, no one is stock piling silver as part of their national reserves (which would also be noticed by the market, and predictably result in a price hike).
Also,the historical ratio is really nothing but a number, there's no reason the two metals have to conform to any value ratio. It's largely used as a value gauge by investors: when the ratio shifts one way, divest in one metal and buy the other. When it shifts the other way, sell that metal, and buy the other. Wash,rinse, repeat. According to the formula, now is the time to divest in gold, and pick up silver (assuming you believe the historical ratio is ever coming back, that is. I'm kinda skeptical ;) ).
Other than that, it's basically meaningless, especially in times like these where so many of the other hard-fast financial rules seem to have been tossed out the window (for example, how did we not see rampant inflation after the trillion dollar printing extravaganza of 2009, as so many economists expected, and as was the historical norm?)
But, I tend to agree that silver is undervalued, but that's partly because gold still is too. If gold was $2500 oz, and silver was $100, where do you think individuals, corporations, and even nations, would be investing their capital ? It sure wouldn't be in the US Dollar and US Treasuries!! The cat would be out of the proverbial bag, as far as the world's mortally wounded fiat currencies go. And that's something they can not, and will not allow.
And there's the motivation for the powers-that-be to constantly deride metals, and for them to artificially depress their values (and again, gold more than silver).

I would like to see the American Dollar go back to either a gold or silver standard. I am not sure if any world currency is still backed by gold maybe some of the folks here would know?

Any idea what this Silver Certificate is worth from 1935?

IMG_1609.JPG

I would like to see the American Dollar go back to either a gold or silver standard. I am not sure if any world currency is still backed by gold maybe some of the folks here would know?

We can't go back to a metal-backed currency now, that's a genie that can't be put back in the bottle. It's mathematically impossible. There's every likelihood that all (or most of) our gold in Ft Knox has long been pissed away, and even if all of it were there, it isn't anywhere near enough to back the currency and debt we have now. We'd have to re-value the stuff at $50,000 an ounce (just guessing at the number, but it's astronomical), and nobody but us would honor that valuation, so the whole plan collapses right out of the gate. It's simply not possible mow, for a number of reasons ( among the biggest is the fact that the powers-that-be didn't erode the financial foundation of this country, just to turn around and fix it all! They went to a lot of trouble here !) .
There's been a lot of talk about China backing their Yuan with gold, which is supposedly why they stopped exporting theirs several years back, and have supposedly been buying it on the open market, as discreetly as possible.
I recall something about a gold-backed currency being launched in Dubai, i don;t recall any details (and it surely ain't much help to the United States!)
The long and the short of it is that we're being herded into a (at least largely) cashless electronic financial system, that allows them complete control over the world's population.
They don't WANT us to have real money in our possession, and they've effectively taken it from us.
So buckle up, b!tchez !!!! :becky:

While both metals are used in industry and jewelry, silver is by far used more in industrial/technological applications than gold is, so if there was any shortage whatsoever, it would be widely known, and be reflected in it's price, (as per the law of supply & demand) yet, it's price is a fraction of what it's been in recent years. And, there's no real motivation for anyone (other than the mining operations) to downwardly manipulate the silver price, like there is for gold. Unlike gold, no one is stock piling silver as part of their national reserves (which would also be noticed by the market, and predictably result in a price hike).
Also,the historical ratio is really nothing but a number, there's no reason the two metals have to conform to any value ratio. It's largely used as a value gauge by investors: when the ratio shifts one way, divest in one metal and buy the other. When it shifts the other way, sell that metal, and buy the other. Wash,rinse, repeat. According to the formula, now is the time to divest in gold, and pick up silver (assuming you believe the historical ratio is ever coming back, that is. I'm kinda skeptical ;) ).
Other than that, it's basically meaningless, especially in times like these where so many of the other hard-fast financial rules seem to have been tossed out the window (for example, how did we not see rampant inflation after the trillion dollar printing extravaganza of 2009, as so many economists expected, and as was the historical norm?)
But, I tend to agree that silver is undervalued, but that's partly because gold still is too. If gold was $2500 oz, and silver was $100, where do you think individuals, corporations, and even nations, would be investing their capital ? It sure wouldn't be in the US Dollar and US Treasuries!! The cat would be out of the proverbial bag, as far as the world's mortally wounded fiat currencies go. And that's something they can not, and will not allow.
And there's the motivation for the powers-that-be to constantly deride metals, and for them to artificially depress their values (and again, gold more than silver).
The reason I believe we didn't see rampant inflation reflected in the metals markets is the introduction of massive amounts of silver and gold introduced into the market that exists only as digital transaction records not real gold and silver. They were and are able to partially meet demand with etf's which in my opinion are largely smoke and mirrors. When the curtain is finally pulled back and reveals that, just like dollars, there is nothing backing these "assets" it is my belief inflation will hit the pm markets for real metals, the kind you hold in your hand, on an unprecedented scale. JMHO

Thanks and rats!

:dispirited:
I feel the same. While mine may be worth a tad more (maybe) than yours, I thought they would be worth lots more than what the market would pay.
I have 3 1957 with consecutive serial #s all uncirculated. Who knows, they may be worth a whopping $2.00 -3.00 each.:grey:

Back
Top Bottom