• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

O.K...lets say we put Sri Lanka in a bubble.....after all the fighting, and what not that will continue for a while, things will settle down...folks will start doing what they used to, however they will not have an outlet for their goods, or services....If they do not have a currency(which they will not) then, that's when silver/gold will become an important part of trade....you are right....right now, gold/silver is not worth poop to them....it will not always be that way....

Ok so here's a question I asked myself. If you buy silver , gold , platinum, ect for financial security when the dollar ain't worth squat or economic collapse. How do you plan on using it to buy anything? Can't go to the Walmart and shave off some gold or silver to the cashier for your bread and milk. You gotta sell it to someone and they give you more worthless cash . Probably alot more then it took to buy it but all the same if it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Don't get me wrong I like silver , got some but more for the neat factor as they make some pretty cool bullion. My investment In precious metals are brass, copper, lead . You get the jist. Because when "bob" has gold bars and "john" has Ammo .....well john also has gold bars ; ) . It's was just a random thought that popped in my head a while back and I then changed my "investment strategy " what says you?
If times are good enough that you can go to walmart to buy food then they're going to be good enough that you could sell small fractions of the bullion you have at a time to then use the proceeds to buy things like food. If things are so bad that the US dollar's prices goes to absolute 0 then Walmart probably doesn't have any food to sell you anyways.

Gold is so valuable it would typically be pretty difficult to spend, but silver is much more divisible. Constitutional silver is fractional, affordable, and recognizable; a 90% silver dime is pretty much 1/14th of a troy ounce of silver. Historically, especially in America, cutting up coins into equal portions worked out pretty well. Coins would often be cut into 8 equal pieces hence the phrase "pieces of 8".

Also, something you're not considering in your analogy of Bob and John is Gary who stacked both precious metals and the means to defend it.

It was an analogy using walmart. You are taking it to literal . I was simply saying how will you use your silver and gold to pay for things when the SHTF. And people are defending there stuff and others are rioting and looting. I understand using it for investment purposes and such I get that . But I see people on here talking about buying silver and gold for the SHTF type stuff . I would think that other commodity would be better to have like ammo , alcohol, tobacco, medicine, tools, plants , food ect. That's my point . I'm not wanting a few shaves of silver in that moment of time , I'd rather barter for things I can use in that situation.

It was an analogy using walmart. You are taking it to literal . I was simply saying how will you use your silver and gold to pay for things when the SHTF. And people are defending there stuff and others are rioting and looting. I understand using it for investment purposes and such I get that . But I see people on here talking about buying silver and gold for the SHTF type stuff . I would think that other commodity would be better to have like ammo , alcohol, tobacco, medicine, tools, plants , food ect. That's my point . I'm not wanting a few shaves of silver in that moment of time , I'd rather barter for things I can use in that situation.
Precious metals aren't dependent on a government or the rule of law to maintain their value. Their value is intrinsic. In real life without rule of law situations markets formed and commerce continued. Anyone who could get themselves safely to a market could use their precious metal to purchase what they needed.

Anyway enough hijacked thread. Back to silver buying. Anyone got some of the ammo poured bullion? Saw them and looks cool to collect
If you're talking about the silver bullet collectible stuff I would advise against that. There's all kinds of silver bullion products available but kinda like guns and ammo I stick with the most common/prolific stuff. Silver bullets,hand poured pieces, colorized silver, silver shot etc. can be harder to trade or resell. Government minted stuff like Eagles and Maple Leaves are the most recognized and what a lot of stackers prefer. But I don't like the premiums attached to Eagles.
Point is... I keep it simple and straightforward with 1 oz rounds and bars. Got a few 5 and 10 oz bars just for variety but that's it. To me that specialty collector stuff is just way out in the weeds kinda like 357Sig or 45 GAP. No thanks.

I am just now getting into buying 10 oz silver bars. My first purchase was from Walmart!! They had a listing for APMEX pioneer bar for 224 shipped! Everything else was 15-20 more than that. Right after I ordered it, I refreshed the page and the price jumped $15. Looks like someone made a mistake and I got lucky.

Attachments

• pioneer1.jpg
    pioneer1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 16
  • pioneer2.jpg
    pioneer2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 17
Must have watched the you tube to get through it then . Lmao . busting your chops. Like I said it was something that I was thinking about and it struck me as odd . I buy silver with cash to turn around and sell it for cash. And if the cash ain't worth crap the I just did a 360 ..

The guy you replied did not grow up in the US & is speaking from a firsthand account: I advise you listen to what he says as he
& his family have stood in bread lines.

Not everyone grew up in Georgia & speaks diesel: some people have actually been further than Savannah & Jacksonville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Precious metals aren't dependent on a government or the rule of law to maintain their value. Their value is intrinsic. In real life without rule of law situations markets formed and commerce continued. Anyone who could get themselves safely to a market could use their precious metal to purchase what they needed.
They're dependent on demand. Portable, yes, used as a unit of value for centuries, yes. However, it might be optimistic to assume they could always be traded for other goods and services. Early societies got by commercially without precious metals as a store of value.

For example, two people are stranded in a desert, one has just enough water to be able to make it to safety, the other has a bunch of gold. Who do you think will live to tell the tale ? You might be tempted to say the one with gun, however.........

Back
Top Bottom