• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Officiating

Lol. It goes on because people, lately sore winners, keep posting. The facts are clear in link in the OP soooooo....
Why does it go on? Guilty conscience perhaps? General obnoxiousness? Who is to say?
Obnoxiousness?...I've in the past tried to be a dawg fan....the reason I can't be a fan is because I've seen WAY TO MANY OBNOXIOUS ga fans..not all are obnoxious,but to many for myself to get in the boat with them...I still hear dawgs talk about how Hershey won the heisman. ..come on give it a rest that was WAY BACK in 1980....my lawd I was 9yrs old,and now I'm 164 yrs old....you do the math

Obnoxiousness?...I've in the past tried to be a dawg fan....the reason I can't be a fan is because I've seen WAY TO MANY OBNOXIOUS ga fans..not all are obnoxious,but to many for myself to get in the boat with them...I still hear dawgs talk about how Hershey won the heisman. ..come on give it a rest that was WAY BACK in 1980....my lawd I was 9yrs old,and now I'm 164 yrs old....you do the math
I'm talking about the discourse in this thread.
All SEC schools have obnoxious fans. A&M seems to be trying to be the exception. Probably that whole corps thing.

Here's the problem with UGA fans:

Most sports fans share a common optimism and hope for their individual team’s projected record based on the scheduled opponents to be faced. Top NCAA football teams often play weaker programs in the early weeks and by week 3, they enter conference play with a few wins under their belt. After a few in-conference wins, fans begin to project the probability of future wins based on match-ups with scheduled teams considering each school’s record, stats, and whether the game is played at home or on the road. By the time the college football rankings take shape, there is insight as to how the national playoff picture might shake out. This is when fans realize that their school actually has a shot at contention.

The problem with UGA fans is not unique to them, but it is relatively simple. Every season before the first spring practice, Bulldog fans across America believe deep down in their souls that UGA will be national champions by season end. This is not a new phenomenon. It has been the case at least since their 1980 national title. The fact that UGA is in the weaker division of the SEC adds to this delusion, along with pre-season rankings, polls, and even ranking their recruiting class. (It is not enough to think they will win a championship before the first snap, no, they will be national champions for years to come.) This explains why UGA fans are always upset when national rankings are revealed, and they aren’t in the top 4 teams. Then the whining begins about how every other team is over rated and immediately discredit any school which is not scheduled to face an SEC opponent. (SEC superiority complex?)

Other Atlanta sports fans are different. While we may share optimism, and base this season’s possible projected outcome, there is an underlying pessimism which acknowledges the reality that our team will face defeat at some point due to past experiences. Some UGA fans show this pessimism during the season by admitting that teams like Auburn worry them, while others “ain’t skeered bout nobody”, and end up losing paychecks on the national championship game or end up wearing Bama attire the following week due to their idiotic wagering.

So how do UGA fans ease the pain and prevent themselves from the torment of being let down by a group of kids playing a game? Maybe they should consider a few facts:

· All SEC teams aren’t guaranteed top 5 rankings

· AP and Coaches Polls aren’t conspiring against UGA

· Herschel Walker hasn’t played NCAA football since 1982

· Vince Dooley retired in 1988

· All inevitable losses aren’t due to officials calling the game in favor of your opponent

As for me, I love my Atlanta sports teams, and I’m a season ticket holding Georgia Tech fan. I have reasonable expectations for our teams each year, but I also get frustrated when we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I also happen to be one of those jerks who loves to watch UGA lose. #THWg

A couple of your points may be valid, and I hate hearing the conspiracy theories as well. What's funny is I hardly, if ever, hear them from my Bulldog brethren that I know. I guess it comes from internet warrior mentality, maybe. A lot of us held strong to the hope that Richt was building a program on the highest recruiting and coaching level. We thought that many of his early seasons of success were missing just a piece or 2 that could be fixed the "next" year. We also thought that with his character and faith, that this is who wanted to win with. Our red and black favoritism and optimism so much wanted to look over his faults from not being an elite National Championship coach. Putting lack of emphasis on the Oline recruiting/coaching and not recruiting depth especially defensively were his biggest downfalls along with getting the most out of his players at times. He was great at getting skill players in and had pretty good recruiting classes. Unfortunately this allowed him to only dance around and only sniff the outskirts of a National Championship, getting the fan base worked up yet dissatisfied.

I'm not sure what the relavence of your bullet points are, yes we take pride in much of the Vince Dooley era, but in no way does that translate to present success. What does is Smart's recruiting philosophy, emphasis on line play, and player development (at least so far). I can tell you that while he is pleased with how much better the team is than last year that he knows the Oline can get bigger and better, defensive back play can get better, etc.

As to your point about all losses being blamed on officiating, I think you are stretching pretty far. Yes, Monday's game is one of those, and it was badly called. I won't say the Dawgs would have won without the bad calls, who knows? The Tide played a dang good second half to tie it in regulation. It's a big huge "what if" to me. I'm just tired of seeing bad officiating playing a role in games in football period.

Obnoxiousness?...I've in the past tried to be a dawg fan....the reason I can't be a fan is because I've seen WAY TO MANY OBNOXIOUS ga fans..and now I'm 164 yrs old....you do the math

Dang! You were almost old enough to fight against the northern invaders.

I agree that many Dawg fans can be obnoxious, but by that reasoning you can't be a Bama fan either, you do realize that?

I'm talking about the discourse in this thread.
All SEC schools have obnoxious fans. A&M seems to be trying to be the exception. Probably that whole corps thing.
Don't forget Vanderbilt, I've never met an obnoxious Vandy fan. (Come to think of it, I don't know if I've met any Vandy fans).

And I know I could have saved a lot of typing, but I've got plenty of time.

I like how all fans are lumped into a single category. I know plenty of UGA fans and exactly zero times have any of us starting the season thinking we were going to win a National Championship. But hey, at least Tech has the triple option to look forward to and the brilliance of PJ.

I like how all fans are lumped into a single category. I know plenty of UGA fans and exactly zero times have any of us starting the season thinking we were going to win a National Championship. But hey, at least Tech has the triple option to look forward to and the brilliance of PJ.
but they won it all in 1990.At least that was what someone told me.

A couple of your points may be valid, and I hate hearing the conspiracy theories as well. What's funny is I hardly, if ever, hear them from my Bulldog brethren that I know. I guess it comes from internet warrior mentality, maybe. A lot of us held strong to the hope that Richt was building a program on the highest recruiting and coaching level. We thought that many of his early seasons of success were missing just a piece or 2 that could be fixed the "next" year. We also thought that with his character and faith, that this is who wanted to win with. Our red and black favoritism and optimism so much wanted to look over his faults from not being an elite National Championship coach. Putting lack of emphasis on the Oline recruiting/coaching and not recruiting depth especially defensively were his biggest downfalls along with getting the most out of his players at times. He was great at getting skill players in and had pretty good recruiting classes. Unfortunately this allowed him to only dance around and only sniff the outskirts of a National Championship, getting the fan base worked up yet dissatisfied.

I'm not sure what the relavence of your bullet points are, yes we take pride in much of the Vince Dooley era, but in no way does that translate to present success. What does is Smart's recruiting philosophy, emphasis on line play, and player development (at least so far). I can tell you that while he is pleased with how much better the team is than last year that he knows the Oline can get bigger and better, defensive back play can get better, etc.

As to your point about all losses being blamed on officiating, I think you are stretching pretty far. Yes, Monday's game is one of those, and it was badly called. I won't say the Dawgs would have won without the bad calls, who knows? The Tide played a dang good second half to tie it in regulation. It's a big huge "what if" to me. I'm just tired of seeing bad officiating playing a role in games in football period.
I agree with everything you're saying, and I am not insinuating that all fans blame losses on officiating. However, I do see the irony of questioning why some fans may blame losses on officiating in a sports thread titled "Officiating". It is difficult to objectively judge how any game is called if one has interest in a particular team being victorious. We always view calls through the filter of our own biases. It is much easier to be fair if you watch a game where you genuinely do not care who wins, and just watch for love of the game. I feel this applies to all sports at all levels.

Back
Top Bottom