• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Oil Lamp Hobby

I mentioned this a few years ago on here in another thread. If you go to Hobby Lobby, you can get a fake/decorative oil lamp for about $25. It looks real at first glance except that there's no hole for a wick to feed through. You could also get a real functional oil lamp for only $12.

Anyone paying more for a fake one than a real one in the same store that are 20ft apart should be sterilized so that they can't reproduce.

What's the best place to source the paraffin oil at a decent price? And can I run the Kleen kerosene from the hardware store in the lamp too? It seems to be a little better priced.

I’ve got 6 or 7 that wife had collected over years! Got one that’s about 70 or so years old still in original box somewhere around the house!

What's the best place to source the paraffin oil at a decent price? And can I run the Kleen kerosene from the hardware store in the lamp too? It seems to be a little better priced.
Hobby Lobby has paraffin oil if you want to get it now. You can get larger portions from Amazon. Only use paraffin! Do not use other oils, kerosene or even K1 kerosene. It will gunk up the burner. The only indoor lamp to my knowledge that you can use K1 kerosene through is Aladdin lamps (the green shaded one in my pictures). Those are a whole other rabbit hole.

Got several still packed up from our move last year. All were used by our family in the old house on Tybee.
Couple are probably 100 years old. Need to get ‘em out, cleaned up, and on display.

The lamp on Hobby Lobby site is not quite 10” high. I remember the ones we had when I was a kid seemed a lot taller. I will have to stop by and look at it. You guys have some nice ones!

Back
Top Bottom