• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ok guys. Why shorten a AR barrel from 16 inches to 14.5 just to pin and WELD a flash hider to get

With modern pistol braces like the SBA4 it’s really not worth it, but I agree OP, and as for the whole Gun handling better room clearing I’d say that’s arguable yeah it’s longer but if that 2 inches is inhibiting you from working doors and halls maybe you should slim down your loadout or beer gut so you can be more agile

2E7E8D77-D05D-480A-9413-6C05FA93EB4C.jpeg

cause it looks way cooler.11.5 with a 5.5 welded is even cooler
I ordered the 5.5" CAR15 style flash hider a while back intending to use it on a PSA 10.5" with the traditional front sight base. That way I could use the cheap plastic knockoff of the tiny XM177 style stock in this last build. But every time look at PSA the price on that upper has went up again.

Back up to 16?
I agree 14.5" is kinda dumb for most of us. If I am building a "PISTOL " why would I want it damn near the same size as a carbine? Having a brace on something with that much barrel looks dumb. Kinda like last year when my landlord built a PSA AR10 with either an 18" or 20" barrel. But they included the plain old collapsible carbine stock in the kit. That much barrel and a collapsible stock? So I gave him the MOE fixed rifle stock and rifle tube I was saving. It looked and balanced out a lot better.
I say if you're going pistol then go short. I have 2 different 7.5" builds I ain't shot yet. But this last one will most likely be 10.5" since that's where the ballistic sweet spot is supposed to be for pistols.

Don't need to shorten. Just get a 14.5 or 13.7 to start. That's about the perfect balance length between maneuverability and terminal performance. 16 isn't the gold standard, it's just viewed as that because that's the shortest you can go before you have to get the alphabet bois involved

According to the experts, there is minimal velocity loss between an 11.5 and a 16. The 14.7 is like the 13.7, when pinned and welded you get more manuverability, but how much I couldn't say. It's all in what you like.

Back
Top Bottom