• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ok ODT Clan - help me reload

Start with a 45. Straight wall pistol case is much easier to load. After you get comfortable, move on to rifle. Do you plan just to neck size your rifle loads or do full length sizing?

Start with a 45. Straight wall pistol case is much easier to load. After you get comfortable, move on to rifle. Do you plan just to neck size your rifle loads or do full length sizing?

If I am fully understanding what I am reading (correct me if I am wrong please!!!) I have several .223 and several .308. For those I will need to do full length sizing since the brass could come from any of them. For those that I only have one of (30-06, .30-.30) I think I can get away with neck sizing.

Neck sizing will give best accuracy. Full length is needed if ammo is used in more than one gun. Neck sizing is easier on the brass, full length can be more difficult, that's why starting with a pistol caliber is a good way to get your feet wet in reloading.

Neck sizing will give best accuracy. Full length is needed if ammo is used in more than one gun. Neck sizing is easier on the brass, full length can be more difficult, that's why starting with a pistol caliber is a good way to get your feet wet in reloading.
^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.....
If you shoot and reload from YOUR rifle, correct, neck size only. First time for any unknown brass, full length size. Just my thoughts, I would start with a straight wall case and carbide dies for pistol. Work up a load take your time and get more comfortable with it. If you start with 5.56 or 7.62 to many things can go wrong if you don't pay attention. Even with pistol, double charges will scare the crap out of you (if your lucky). Use high volume powder to start, there is nothing wrong with unique powder. Pay attention to detail, and keep the wife (girl friend away). By all means if your not sure of your load, set it aside and pull the bullet. Done hundreds of them.

Back
Top Bottom