• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ok seriously though

I'm color blind & can’t track blood easily. Switched from 06 to 338 WM at 18 after losing a deer. Moved to 300 WHBY a few years later then to 300 RUM. Been using the likes of these for 30 years and haven’t lost a deer since. Does it make a mess? Depends on shot placement. Drop back behind shoulders about 5-6” for does. Big bucks...right in the shoulder and break everything- that’s messy but he’ll drop every time. I load Barnes for the 300’s and SP mainly for the 338.
Yeah I love shoulder shots, you do lose shoulders but they drop most of the time. Take out their running gear.

The biggest caliber I have shot a deer or pig with is a 12 gauge slug. Punched through both sides of a 350# boar hog’s shield (double lung shot) and I thought I had missed him for a second. My follow up shot was behind the ear, which dropped him instantly. The 1oz slug flattened out on his spinal column. The shoulder shot destroyed his lungs. The next caliber down from that was a 30/06 and it got the job done.
A 375 Ruger will be more than enough for either.

The biggest caliber I have shot a deer or pig with is a 12 gauge slug. Punched through both sides of a 350# boar hog’s shield (double lung shot) and I thought I had missed him for a second. My follow up shot was behind the ear, which dropped him instantly. The 1oz slug flattened out on his spinal column. The shoulder shot destroyed his lungs. The next caliber down from that was a 30/06 and it got the job done.
A 375 Ruger will be more than enough for either.
Oh yeah I know it would be way more than enough. You would have to shoot either in the shoulder to even get any kind of bullet expansion. Even then I don’t know how much expansion you would get because the bullets are made for freaking Cape buffalo. Lol

Back
Top Bottom