• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Okefenokee Fishing

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
Going to take the boys to the swamp this weekend and camp. I read the panfish are easy to come by, but what about the Chain Pickerel? Anyone have any experience there?

I have not caught any chain pickerel (my family use to load a boat in the swamp), but I have caught numerous 5+ pound bowfins (mud fish - beyond all the internet "hating" they are REALLY good eating if cleaned/cooked fresh - firm white flesh. Otherwise, they become a mushy mess). I used plastic worm in pumpkin color. They fight like no ones business!!! I went through many hooks/worms due to them shredding the line.

Panfish are rather easy to catch. Catfish are also plenty to have. The last time my father and I went we could not catch any panfish (used worms, crickets, minnows, and jigs), but caught numerous catfish. I also caught numerous bowfins. If I could have landed each bowfin I hooked I would have had well over 100lbs of fish.

Are you going to the Steven c foster state park side?We've had pretty good luck on warmouth in the spring and summer. Never been there this time of year. We caught most of them on roostertails and we ran out of them and drove the 17 miles back to Fargo and bought a whole card of them to keep us going through the week! Lol good luck

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161230_d5c2cae174ec9ad462a5a1244b21f1f0.jpg

This is the only one I can find from the trip. 5.5 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have not caught any chain pickerel (my family use to load a boat in the swamp), but I have caught numerous 5+ pound bowfins (mud fish - beyond all the internet "hating" they are REALLY good eating if cleaned/cooked fresh - firm white flesh. Otherwise, they become a mushy mess). I used plastic worm in pumpkin color. They fight like no ones business!!! I went through many hooks/worms due to them shredding the line.

Panfish are rather easy to catch. Catfish are also plenty to have. The last time my father and I went we could not catch any panfish (used worms, crickets, minnows, and jigs), but caught numerous catfish. I also caught numerous bowfins. If I could have landed each bowfin I hooked I would have had well over 100lbs of fish.

Bowfins :thumb:
The only time in your life you'll get to eat a dinosaur.

Back
Top Bottom