• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

old/antique 270 ammo?

Brotherbanzai

Default rank <300 posts
Nothing to see here
22   0
Reaction score
Friend found these in his fathers house after he passed. His dad no longer had a rifle chambered in .270, neither of us do either. No idea how it was stored. He found a lot of stuff randomly squirreled away inside the house. Is old or antique ammo a thing? Are these two boxes worth anything? Are they a hazard that should be disposed of? If so, how to do so safely?

One box of sealed Winchester and one box of Remington which is open at one end, lead looks oxidized on the one I took out to look at. Thanks for any guidance.
100_7736.JPG

100_7738.JPG

100_7739.JPG

100_7740.JPG

Old ammo is indeed collectible. If you go to any Gun shows, toss it in a bag and see if you can trade it for something that you do shoot. You could probably trade it to someone easier than trying to sell it.

If it were me I'd either keep it or sell it to someone who would appreciate it more as a collectable rather than just a cheap bang.

Thanks everyone for the information. Neither my friend nor I have anything chambered in 270, so I won't personally be shooting them, though good to know that they are still shootable. I like the idea of selling or trading to someone as a collectable items. I'm sure my friend wouldn't mind getting some unexpected extra funds for the new year.
And thank you for the offer JMB and TG, I'd have to look into it to see if I would be able to ship it or not. Don't honestly know if regular people can ship ammunition, I would think there was a hazmat restriction.

Looked it up, the Hazmat procedure from UPS seems like a decent sized hassle, plus their $16 pickup fee makes shipping just these two (or one) box not really worth the effort. Will probably take Skeeter25's advice and if I ever go to another gun show, take it with me.
Thanks again for the assistance all. Nice to know it can just continue to be stored for now and that there are those who would be interested in it as collectible items.

If you go to any of the RK Shows, there's a young man that we be there with all sorts of ammo, I wish I could remember his name. Short, beard, typically wears a ball cap, I think that he is Bambi's son. He will be willing to trade with you.

Back
Top Bottom