• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old School Skateboarders

Late start on this thread, just saw it. I went to Progressive when it was on Pharr rd. Bought weed from the guy and his wife along with boards. Had a good friend that was on the Progressive team. They went to contests around the southeast, said that mostly they just got all smoked up. Skated at the ramp ranch in Decatur( Tommy Kaye's back yard ). Damn those were good times. Skated at concret surf on Scott blvd in Decatur and the park that was on Buford hwy in Doraville after it closed.
1975 the radio station Z93 had a slalom contest in Atlanta in front of some hotel. they closed off the street, but the course with oily and slick. I should have won the 13and under but the Progressive guys were running it so when their skater DQed his semifinal run, they let him pay another registration fee and he beat me in the final. I'm over it now, but would still kick his ass if saw him today. JK
We went to contests that were held at chastain park also

I grew up skating in Tampa, had city skate parks, sidewalks, ramps everywhere in our locale. Skated with some friends that were sponsored by local shops. I had some boards- more 1980's PP, don't remember them really. We didn't ride bikes- everyone- EVERYONE skated everywhere. Moved to Atlanta and it quickly faded because of the hills and lack of sidewalks. Built a ramp in atlanta with some friends I met and skated that for a while- it was not vert, never got the chance to try- and probably would have busted my ass

I rode a dog town back in the 70's. I was in the Clayton county so not really any parks to ride in. My biggest place to ride was the old water park after they closed down. The corner of 54 and forest park way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had several boards "back in the day"

When Back to the Future came out in 1985 I got a Valterra like the one Marty had in the movie LOL

A few years later my cousin decided to get out of skating and gave me his board. It was a Schmitt Stix John Lucero deck with Tracker trucks and OJII wheels.

I ended up trading that one to another kid in the neighborhood for a Santa Cruz Jeff Grosso. It was the one with the Alice in Wonderland worm smoking a hookah. I wish I still had that one because it's worth a bunch of money now. Disney sued Santa Cruz for copyright infringment over it or something.

I also had a Vision Gator at one point. I ordered it through the mail in one of those ads in the back of Thrasher magazine. I think it was $99

Oh, and I had another cousin give me his Steve Cabalero board when he got out of skating. It was actually in my parents basement up until about 6 months ago wben they moved. The cousin that originally gave it to me was actually there helping pack when we found it. His eyes lit up when he saw it and I could tell he wanted it back, but didn't want to ask. I told him to take it home with him and he didn't argue with me LOL He said he's going to hang it on the wall in his computer room at home.

IMG_3628.JPG
I love skateboarding history, i just wish i could've been apart of it!! I do skate quite often now, not as much as i used to, but this thread is awesome!

Anyone remember "thrashin"? I must have watched it 20 times. man, was it cheesy!
Heck yeah! I rented the VHS from our local movie store several times! Hahaha! And don't forget "Gleaming the Cube"

I also had a well worn VHS bootleg of "The Search for Animal Chin". It had Tony Hawk and all the rest of the Bones Brigade in it.

Back
Top Bottom