• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Traditional Thanksgiving Hunts

Edog537

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
111   0
Reaction score
I always remember as a kid we didn’t go to deer camp. We stayed around here and either hunted rabbits behind beagles over in Dark Corners(Douglas County) or we squirrel hunted with cousins in Haralson County who raised awesome Parsons Russell Terriers squirrel dogs. Of course there were many Thanksgiving Days running deer dogs in Jenkins County. No GPS collars back then. Just fast trucks, cb radios, or kill the deer. Outlaw Style. I enjoy deer hunting - but it’s boring as hell sitting around waiting on the deer.

As a kid my dad and his two brothers, and granddad leased 235 acres from ga Kraft in Jones county that was surrounded by piedmont.each thanksgiving the wife’s and grandmother would haul thanksgiving to the woods to eat as a family at lunch.they were no miss hunting that day it would be the first doe day of the season.

As a kid my dad and his two brothers, and granddad leased 235 acres from ga Kraft in Jones county that was surrounded by piedmont.each thanksgiving the wife’s and grandmother would haul thanksgiving to the woods to eat as a family at lunch.they were no miss hunting that day it would be the first doe day of the season.
I remember limited doe days. Didn’t apply when dog hunting. Never hurt deer numbers and we killed lots of 3.5+ bucks.

Now that's really nice

yep wasnt any deer when I was a kid we hunted rabbits partridges coon squirrels. Then the deer boom and here we are
Yep these young fellows would quit hunting if they went a week hunting like hell and was lucky to see a deer.

Yep these young fellows would quit hunting if they went a week hunting like hell and was lucky to see a deer.
Yes sir! I remember as a 5-6 year old in the mid 70’ Upson County Club any deer brought in was a big deal. If it was a big buck guys would come from the other clubs to look. Everyone bunked in one room shack no electricity or plumbing. The cook shack was a stick shed with left over whatever nailed to it. Most everyone hunted with a 742 Woodmaster Carbine/06’/220gr Core Locks/see through scope mounts/Redfield tv screen scope. Flannel/Surplus/Jeans/itchy long John’s/terrible boots. Ahhhh the good old days.
😂😂😂😂👍

Just a post thought… Do you think we see more deer now because of

1. Less Hunters/Lower Hunting pressure?
2. Better QDM
3. Better Land Management
4. Tacos?

Back
Top Bottom