Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

Old U.S. military tracers

Thread in 'Curios & Relics' started by GAgunLAWbooklet, Feb 27, 2018.

1. GAgunLAWbooklet

GAgunLAWbooklet The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

25   0

Rating
    100%
    https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ft-vietnam-era-5-56-tracers.1627700/

Does anyone know if these 1968 production Olin / Winchester 5.56 mm M196 tracers are likely to still be good?
    I don’t have a safe place to shoot a couple hundred yards to test them, considering the fire danger they present when shooting in the woods.

I wonder if Wilson Shoals WMA would mind me popping off a few into their huge mud cliff they call a backstop?

2. GAgunLAWbooklet

25   0

Rating
    100%
    When I was a kid in the late 1970s to mid 1980s, my dad would sometimes let me shoot some of his World War II era tracers in 30-06 caliber from an M1 Garand. If I remember right, almost all of them did trace. But that was only about 30 to 35 years after they were produced .

My brother gave me some orange tipped .30 carbine tracers in the late 1980s. I don’t know if those tracers were genuine military issue or had been re-assembled from components that had been sold as surplus. I also don’t know when they were produced and I forget the head stamp on the case.
    But most of them also did trace and it was fun shooting them.

I saw a bunch of ricochets that I never heard.

3. palmettomoon

palmettomoon The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

75   0

Rating
    100%
    Likely still good. Shoot 'em. Where you can without starting a forest fire.

I have some WWII .45 ACP tracers that cracked open due to the element in the base of the bullets expanding.

4. GAgunLAWbooklet

25   0

Rating
    100%
    I tested 4 of these tracers tonight at dusk. It was after sunset, and pretty dark.
    3 out of 4 traced, starting at about 50 yards and reaching to the berm at 100 yards.
    One of the 1970s tracers did not light up that I could tell.
    I can't comment on accuracy (it was too dark to see the sights clearly, and I just did 4 quick shots offhand, unsupported). But they all hit the target and all made nice round holes. No keyholing.

Bagman likes this.