• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old vs retro computers?

You got me. In the process of giving away 3 PCs, printers, etc... some have to be 20 years old.
To me, it's all 'old' if I can't use it. It's retro if I can. So my stuff is 'old'. ;)

I thought you found a home for those?

When it comes to computers it's hard... but I would say that part of being 'retro' was that it once was cool, or uncool, but noteworthy.

An original IBM PC (or even a PC Jr.) would be retro, but a Gateway 286 wouldn't be, unless you still had the cool 'cow' box they came in.

I still contemplate buying an Amiga 1000 to replace my original... That would be retro. An Amiga 3000 would probably just be old though.

When it comes to computers it's hard... but I would say that part of being 'retro' was that it once was cool, or uncool, but noteworthy.

An original IBM PC (or even a PC Jr.) would be retro, but a Gateway 286 wouldn't be, unless you still had the cool 'cow' box they came in.

I still contemplate buying an Amiga 1000 to replace my original... That would be retro. An Amiga 3000 would probably just be old though.

I'll bet age plays into it; those in their 50's would be looking for one gen of systems; those in their 40's are looking for something slightly newer.

There's a huge interest in 8 and 16-bit computers right now. There are even new games being released. You'd be surprised what a working Amiga 1000 goes for.

Back
Top Bottom