• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Older ammo effects

Jasper

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
On a regular basis I see ammo for sale on ODT. Many time it turns out to be older ammo. Some is name brand like Remington, WWB, Federal,ect. Some is factory reloads like Atl Arms or others. Should I have concerns.
What is the effects or dangers of shooting this older ammo in todays firearms.
By older ammo Im suggesting 10 or 12 yr old 40 or 45 cal ammo fired in a glock, kimber, or Sig.
Does caliber, or gun maker make a difference?
Thanks for your input.

Yep.

Most mil-surp ammo is at least 10+ years old. Some is even older.

Heck, last year I blasted up a bunch of WWII era 30-06 ammo in a couple of bolt guns and a Garand. No issues whatsoever.

On a regular basis I see ammo for sale on ODT. Many time it turns out to be older ammo. Some is name brand like Remington, WWB, Federal,ect. Some is factory reloads like Atl Arms or others. Should I have concerns.
What is the effects or dangers of shooting this older ammo in todays firearms.
By older ammo Im suggesting 10 or 12 yr old 40 or 45 cal ammo fired in a glock, kimber, or Sig.
Does caliber, or gun maker make a difference?
Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't use older ammo for defense, older ammo is fine for plinking or range duty. I have fired thousands of rounds of 15 year old surplus 9mm though my Glock's without a problem.

As long as there is no evidence of moisture or oil stains on the ammo box or no rust appearing on bullet, it should be as good as recent plinking ammo.

After 10 years the primer starts to dry and the powder will break down depending on storage, humidity,temperature etc. Most militaries rotate ammo after 10 yrs. Target practice is fine if inspected and determined that is not corroded (steel case may be rusted inside) but it can be hazardous and result in weaker cases, case ruptures, stuck in the chamber and other issues. Definetly a no no for defensive purposes. I use the older ammo to pull the projectile and recoup some of the powder when feasible, but will not take chances with my life and limb or the safety of the weapon. Some loose ammo that was sold as surpluss was know to be loaded on purpose by certain govt agencies and left for the enemy to use and blow up their weapons maybe an eye or a limb. Just something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom