• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Older Mec 9000 question

musket

Default rank <2000 posts
SCV-MOS&B
84   0
Reaction score
I have a Mec 9000 that has loaded thousands of rounds that is running a little rough. I pulled it apart, as far as I was comfortable, cleaned and lubed where the instructions indicate.

My question is, does anyone know of someone in the Cherokee, Cobb, Forsyth areas that knows these things well and will inspect parts for wear and fine tune it?

I don't really want to box it up and send it to MEC if I don't have to.

Thanks,
musket

What are your concerns? I have six of these things, Hydraulic, Automated, and manual. Most wear issues are easily identified. PM me with your questions, I'll try to help. Thousands of rounds versus tens of thousands, I have not needed to replace parts until I get into tens of thousands. Good pictures would help. rrhodes rrhodes

"Rough" in what way?

Wear is usually not an issue, but the adjustments on the cam are.

I have a 9000 from the first year of manufacture.

Other than things like the crimp starter, and wad starter, I don't think I've ever replaced a major part.

Caveat--mine had metal dies, the later ones had plastic, and those may have wear issues with which I'm not familiar.

Mine is all metal except for the wad guide. When I say rough, I mean it gets stuck about half way through the down stroke and the up stroke. I can't see what's binding. It doesn't matter if there are hulls at every station or none at all. I think it's somewhere in the shell plate advance mechanism. I know it's not the charge bar because I leaned the bottles back and it still got stuck. It's not so bad that it won't move, but I do have to lightly slap the handle to get it to proceed.

Check the fingers on the depriming station for a piece of shot or trash stuck between the fingers.

Get some steel wool and a 12 ga. bore brush. some solvent, and thoroughly clean the resizing die Take it off, and really hone it out. Also, make sure the die is adjusted properly. The set screw can back out.

And finally, are you trying to reload shells with steel "brass?" MEC doesn't like steel but it will reload it, but you have to muscle up on just like you describe. If I had to pick something out of the air, this would be it, along with an improperly set resizing die.

Also, you can disconnect the shell advance system, and move the shell plate manually (done several tens of thousands that way) which may help you isolate the problem.

I have a Mec 9000 that has loaded thousands of rounds that is running a little rough. I pulled it apart, as far as I was comfortable, cleaned and lubed where the instructions indicate.

My question is, does anyone know of someone in the Cherokee, Cobb, Forsyth areas that knows these things well and will inspect parts for wear and fine tune it?

I don't really want to box it up and send it to MEC if I don't have to.

Thanks,
musket
Got one I'll sell ya at a good price!!!! 404-740-5485

Back
Top Bottom