Oldsmobile Crap

A 4.8 might do well in a jet boat
The 4.8 will rev higher than the 5.3 or 6.0
Since it has a shorter stroke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a half inch shorter stroke
It will rev a lot higher

I'd leave it stock with a small turbo
That way if / when you blow it up a replacement 4.8 at a salvage yard is about $350

I think you can change the valve springs and get a lot more RPM

We used "team208motorsports"
In Idaho to do our harness and computer

http://www.team208motorsports.com

I highly recommend him
You send him the harness and computer and it comes back redone with a fusebox and ready to hook up three or four wires and run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go turbo I'd at the very least open up the gap on the stock rings, they'll take a beating when the tune is spot on but if anything goes awry there isn't much room for error. You really want a screamer, find a 6.0 and swap in a set of flat tops depending on which model you get. Late Gen III's and IV's had floating rods which were a bit stronger, or you get get them bushed like I did and use new wrist pins. Then drop in a 4.8 crank, the world is just so much better with the 4.0 bore, plus the unshrouding of the valves makes a big difference and helps with the stock heads. I ended up .008 out of the hole after decking and with the gasket I chose had a .037 quench when all was said and done. The stock rockers are lightest and super strong but you run into premature valve guide wear above ~.630-.650, I'd still try to run them though because the valvetrain is so stable at high rpm with less weight over the nose. Couple that with a good spring and some good pushrods, even the tapered, and you'll have a long living happy LS. There is so much to consider so choose your stock block accordingly.

If you go turbo I'd at the very least open up the gap on the stock rings, they'll take a beating when the tune is spot on but if anything goes awry there isn't much room for error. You really want a screamer, find a 6.0 and swap in a set of flat tops depending on which model you get. Late Gen III's and IV's had floating rods which were a bit stronger, or you get get them bushed like I did and use new wrist pins. Then drop in a 4.8 crank, the world is just so much better with the 4.0 bore, plus the unshrouding of the valves makes a big difference and helps with the stock heads. I ended up .008 out of the hole after decking and with the gasket I chose had a .037 quench when all was said and done. The stock rockers are lightest and super strong but you run into premature valve guide wear above ~.630-.650, I'd still try to run them though because the valvetrain is so stable at high rpm with less weight over the nose. Couple that with a good spring and some good pushrods, even the tapered, and you'll have a long living happy LS. There is so much to consider so choose your stock block accordingly.

Way ahead of you Battlesausage, this is my 6.0 "Trump Train Engine" I just finished putting together: gen iv flat tops and rods, file fit rings opened up quite a bit, a big nasty forced induction ls3 cam from Texas speed, and topped off with with TFS ls3 heads. I was going to go with a fast intake, but I found some strong evidence backed up by dyno test by different companies that proved the stock truck intake made more power across the entire rpm range. It will be turbo'd at some point, right now I just have to learn how to tune this thing with the ms3 software. I've never messed with it before, but I think I can figure it out easily.

I didn't think about de-stroking a 6.0 with a 4.8 crank, that baby would rev to the moon!

Attachments

• IMG_3682 (2).JPG
    IMG_3682 (2).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 12
Way ahead of you Battlesausage, this is my 6.0 "Trump Train Engine" I just finished putting together: gen iv flat tops and rods, file fit rings opened up quite a bit, a big nasty forced induction ls3 cam from Texas speed, and topped off with with TFS ls3 heads. I was going to go with a fast intake, but I found some strong evidence backed up by dyno test by different companies that proved the stock truck intake made more power across the entire rpm range. It will be turbo'd at some point, right now I just have to learn how to tune this thing with the ms3 software. I've never messed with it before, but I think I can figure it out easily.

I didn't think about de-stroking a 6.0 with a 4.8 crank, that baby would rev to the moon!

Good deal, the truck intakes were underrated and then folks figured out the newer ones did well, I had been buying them for $80 pop on eBay and stockpiling them to sell. You won't give up much to the FAST unless you really ported it heavy honestly so it isn't worth it unless it's a max effort build. What lifters did you end up with? Don't forget a trunnion kit if you're using the stock rockers, seen a couple people lose their engine over the rockers ****ting the bed.

Hording intakes you say??? I need this fitting for my daily. You got anything like that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 9
I'll try to remember to look in the am, all were bare but I will see if I have what you need laying around. I've got crap everywhere but we moved last year and everything is in random tubs throughout the basement and garage.

Back
Top Bottom