• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

olight

Yeah that. Take a low light class and it’ll show you how to use a light properly without blinding yourself. I’m not saying you need 1500+ lumens, but you shouldn’t pass up a good light because you’re scared of it.

I don't know, this scenario always plays out in my mind:
Bump in the night. I'm investigating, coming around a corner, "slicing the pie" and all that, not "hugging cover", but staying away from the wall. I see a shadow as I peep around, and "light him up". I can immediately see it's a bad guy.

Now, of course the light has spill over since it's not a 2 degree spot light, and my 10,000 lumen light sends about 7,000 lumens on the bad guy, and about 3,000 lumens bouncing off the "super-gloss egg shell arctic tundra white" wall paint that my wife picked out - three feet from my face. No problem - my intended target got worse than me and is pretty well blinded; but then his partner in the other corner, who was not "lit up" starts shooting.

Since I don't want to be the only one in the room with both a gun and a bright "shoot me, please!" light on, I turn the light off... Except now I'm seeing spots, which seems to be a big tactical disadvantage in a darkened room. Now I HAVE to turn on the light to see any darned thing and I can't listen for the bad guys since my ears are also ringing from the gunfire that is happening in my living room. I wonder what happens to the first guy in a darkened room who turns on his light?

Perhaps taking a low light class would help me; I recognize you don't know what you don't know. In the meantime I'll stick with just enough light to ID the target 25 feet away but not blind me if I inadvertently 'splash' off the wall. I know I shouldn't 'splash' my own wall, but if this goes down I'll be hopped up on adrenaline, and probably dealing with it after being awakened at 1 am. A lot of things aren't going to work right - I guess I'll get what I deserve.

My philosophy is that I don't expect to blind the bad guy during the day, so I don't expect to blind him at night. I just need enough light to make sure I'm not shooting my wife or kid.

Back
Top Bottom