• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One and Done Hunting Rifle

jhall2

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
19   0
Reaction score
Gents,

If you were in the position of looking for a one and done hunting rifle, what would the caliber be and what must haves should be considered? Any particular brand you think is doing big things? I have a .308 now (700 in a KRG chassis), but it's too much to tote in the woods. Focus would be accurate, buy once cry once, light-ish, capable of hunting North America as a whole. I'm all ears and open to everything from The Fix to something old school. Appreciate the input.

1000’s of opinions…
I’m color blind and can’t hardly follow a blood trail. Give me a 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag or a 300 Ultra Mag with 165-168 Barnes. Those have never failed me. Even the 338 Win Mag with 200 gr SP’s do the trick.

There isn't a one and done for north America.
That!
A lot of people say they want a "do it all for North America" rifle but last I checked Kodiaks and their various cousins live on North America. The "do it all" is really a 3 rifle gig. Thin skin non dangerous game (which covers 95%+ of what most people hunt), dangerous game, and small game.
If you are going to hunt whitetail 95% of the time, there is no point getting a rifle that will also cover the other 5% if it's less than ideal for what you're doing 95% of the time.
Do you really want to hunt whitetail with a .375 H&H? I mean you could, but......
Do you really want to hunt Brown bear with a .270? It's been done, but......
Jack of all trades master of none comes to mind.
You have to decide what you realistically expect to hunt. Then get the 3 rifles that will cover it all. (Or do like most of us and have too many for every possible scenario.)

If I was only going to have one rifle.... (shudder the thought) it would be something from .270 to 7mm mag and I'd be comfortable that I'll never hunt dangerous game with it.

My dad had a pre-1964 Winchester model 70 Lightweight in .30-06.

He considered it good for everything from woodchucks to black bear, although rather than take his gun into Canada, he borrowed a lever rifle in .35 Rem for that bear hunting trip.

I had a similar rifle, also in .30-06, a Weatherby Mark V.

I'd have hunted anything in North America with it, without reservation, within any distance I could Count on a good hit given my own skill limitations. (The gun was more accurate than I was).

Back
Top Bottom