• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One and Done Hunting Rifle

My dad had a pre-1964 Winchester model 70 Lightweight in .30-06.

He considered it good for everything from woodchucks to black bear, although rather than take his gun into Canada, he borrowed a lever rifle in .35 Rem for that bear hunting trip.

I had a similar rifle, also in .30-06, a Weatherby Mark V.

I'd have hunted anything in North America with it, without reservation, within any distance I could Count on a good hit given my own skill limitations. (The gun was more accurate than I was).
I concur. A 30-06 with a heavy Nosler Partition may not be be suitable for a 600 yard shot on an elk or a brown bear, but it would be just fine at the distances most game is taken 25-200 yards. Unless they are delusional, 30-06 is accepted as plenty if not too much for a Georgia deer.

Sig Cross. I talked to several very reputable people this week that told me this has become their go to rifle, unexpectedly. Reports of 3/4 MOA or better consistently among those that own more than one...or two of them. I'm starting to wonder why pay more if your use case is exactly what you state.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Seriously, something in at least a 30 caliber that you are going to put hundreds of rounds down range at various distances. What good is that magic rifle if you don’t shoot it but , once a year to sight it in .

I've thought about this some.

The likelihood of my traveling much is nil, but if I did, I would probably go with a .35 caliber, probably a .35-06 which you can get factory loads for, or one of the .35 cal short magnums.

I’d normally say a 308 but since you said ALL of North America, I’d step up to a 300 Winmag. Light loads for small stuff, heavy loads for scary stuff. Couldn’t go wrong with a bolt action but a Browning Bar would be something to consider as well for all around use and lighter recoil.

Sig Cross. I talked to several very reputable people this week that told me this has become their go to rifle, unexpectedly. Reports of 3/4 MOA or better consistently among those that own more than one...or two of them. I'm starting to wonder why pay more if your use case is exactly what you state.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
At 6.5 lbs, the weight is good for walking or sitting as long as you don’t put a 3 lb scope on it. I have a friend who uses 180’s in .308 for the “bigger stuff” at reasonable ranges from a nice Remington 700. If you like an ar, the Sig would be an easy platform to shoot. I didn’t know Sig even made this until I saw your post. Even with the 16” barrel, this would be fine for bigger game if someone wasn’t trying to be a 600 yard elk sniper.

Back
Top Bottom