• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One and Done Hunting Rifle

For brown bear to deer, I'd go with either a 35 Whelen or 9.3x62.

The 9.3x62 is an old German round created for settlers that were flocking to Africa that couldn't afford the long magnum actions. It'll fit in a standard long action & capable of taking lion & brown bear. Tikka & Sako still chambers it but you can rebarrel or rebore a standard action rifle to shoot it.

35 Whelen is slightly weaker than the 9.3x62 but uses the 30-06 case. Mostly a custom barrel option since it isn't chambered by the factory these days.

But like others have said, a 30/06 will handle everything as well. I'd love to own a stainless Winchester 70 someday.

This is what I would do. If it’s one and done I recommend the following:

Custom action: defiance, zermatt, kelbly, impact, BAT, etc

Manners CS Elite fill with mini chassis

22 inch sendero or light varmint contour in fast twist 6.5CM, .308 family of cartridges, or .30-06

Threaded for a brake or can

Timney, jewel, or trigger tech

Harris Bipod

Qaulity scope like upper end bushnells, NF, upper end vortex like the LHT, S&B, Etc….

2D2E2A02-AC09-49C7-A209-6681AB34440D.jpeg

Put a traditional hunting stock on the rifle you already have for hunting season. After deer season put the KRS chassis back on for Range Rambo duties.
What in the heck does a traditional hunting stock do for you besides be more uncomfortable and less accurate? Traditional hunting stocks are basically for looks only at this point, especially now that we have some crazy light chassis options out there.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I have the Tikka T3 30/06. Accurate as can be. Hunted with Mauser for 35 years then switched couple years back. Put 2 holes in paper at 85 yards bullseye 1/2 inch apart. Been using 165 grain boat tail ballistic tipped since the 80`s

Back
Top Bottom